10| Selection of the Fittest

"Alright, let's bring in the first eighteen

"Alright, let's bring in the first eighteen." The judge says this as the bailiff brings in the first eighteen people who will decide Carson's fate and my future. The judge continues, as the members of the jury take their seats, "Thank you for coming. I'll ask you some questions, and then the attorneys will take their turn. There are no incorrect responses. Your sole responsibility is to tell the truth. Due to the public's interest, the jury will now remain anonymous. Your identities have not been revealed to the lawyers. If you slip up and say anything that identifies you, I will be forced to excuse you myself. Now let's get started. Juror number one, please give us your occupation, marital status, and where you live."

"I work as a teacher, am married, and live in Syracuse." She responds with a cheerful smile. She was a kind person, she was innocent, and this was bad because she would be the type to believe there was only good and bad. After she finished, juror number two began.

"I am a lawyer, I am single, and I live in Manhattan." Looking at me, she says. She recognized me. She looked at me as though she admired me. She could work.

Juror three began, "I'm a social worker, divorced, and live in Blairstown." Fuck. A social worker, we were dying with this jury.

Most of the remaining jurors were engineers, and businesses, which favoured us. The issues were jurors one, three, nine, fourteen, and eighteen. This case was fucked up. The prosecution would display the case as a guy killing a girl after sleeping with her and knowing Carson's past and what he's known as it would hard as fuck to prove otherwise so we needed the perfect jury.

I write everything down about the jurors on a Post-it and stick it to a file. It was easier doing it this way for me, computer typing works too but for me this way was faster.

The court directed the prosecution to begin questioning once each juror had completed introducing themselves.

"Good morning, my name is Lorenzo Deluca. I am the Prosecutor. This is a murder case. The defendant is accused of murdering Valentina Cordova. Now, we need a fair and impartial jury so I need to ask if the fact that the victim was having an extramarital affair makes it hard for anyone here to be impartial." Deluca observes the jury. Hearing my phone ring draws my attention. It was a text message from Nicholas. Nicholas was my eyes and ears in this situation, and he would assist me determine who to cut.

Nicholas: Juror number 10, 7, and 11 are bluffing. Keep them.

"Your Honor, the people would would like to thank and excuse Juror number 10 and 11" Fuck he was good.

Nicholas: Sly fucker. It's fine we still have juror 7.

After the first two jurors left, two more arrived, both retail workers, single, and from the East Bronx. Now, it was my turn to question.

"Good morning to everyone." Standing up from my chair and smiling at the jurors, I say. I needed to charm them and make them fall in love with me and my client so that they would be biassed in my favour. "My name is Hayat Malik, and this is Carson Koslov, my client. I am the defence attorney, and I am here today to assist you in locating this case's hard facts so we can see the obvious truth. Let me tell you a little bit about myself. I work at Reign Sinclair Knight, and when I was a junior partner, I was able to mentor my own associate. She has a kind heart, but in her first two weeks there, I wanted to fire her." I say letting out a little laugh and shaking my head, I look up to see half of the jurors smiling at me.