20| The Shadow of the Past

"Ada, I need a hat trick, and I don't care how, but I need it now

"Ada, I need a hat trick, and I don't care how, but I need it now. I can't rely on the jury, as you well know how unpredictable they can be. After the last stunt Deluca pulled, I doubt they are on our side," I sighed, handing her the file containing the photos Deluca presented in court.

"Do we have any idea about the explanation behind these photos?" Ada asked.

"The explanation here is nonsense, and I don't trust it. So, find anything that can make this document look questionable," I said, pointing at the file.

"I'll do my best, but I might need some help," she replied, standing up. I nodded for her to continue. "I can investigate the case through conventional means, but you'll have to find answers in a less ethical way. We both know that there's a part of this story we're missing, and you can't afford to lose this case."

"You focus on your task and leave the rest to me. On your way out, tell Vera to cancel all my meetings for the day."

"Leaving the office at 3 pm?" Vera looked at me with a mixture of confusion and shock.

"I have some urgent matters to attend to."

"Klaudia won't be happy, Hayat."

"It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. Besides, if she asks, tell her I'm chasing a lead," I said, sending her a reassuring smile before grabbing my bag and leaving my office.

"Are you sure about this?" Angelo asked, his usual flirty smile replaced by a concerned look as he walked beside me.

"I wouldn't be here if I wasn't," I replied, giving his hand a reassuring squeeze before letting go and heading towards the club. The deafening music made me grimace, and the smell of alcohol filled me with unease.

Fear is a peculiar thing. It can render even the most stable person irrational in certain situations. I had rarely experienced fear in my life. I once heard that, in order to feel fear, you must first love something. Maybe the lack of love in my life had shaped me into the person I am today – a monster. The life I had led for 16 years had been so brutal that I now feared returning to it. I dreaded the prospect of feeling that overwhelming emptiness again, a void so profound that I had resorted to killing just to feel something.

I had never harmed an innocent person, but few believed that. In today's world, one mistake could label you a criminal. That's exactly why I choose to help those who are misunderstood.

As we entered the club, a guard escorted us to an isolated room at the far end of a hallway opposite the main club area. The guard opened the door to an office – sizable, though not as big as mine.

"I never thought I'd see the Void in the flesh again," a voice I despised whispered in my ear. Before the man could utter another word, I swiftly turned, disarming him, and pushed him against the wall, my gun pressed against his throat. "Oof, she's even feistier now. Careful, love, don't let me take all that confidence away."

Glancing around, I couldn't see the guard or Angelo, fueling my anger.

"Where is he?" I seethed, pushing the gun further into his throat, satisfaction coursing through me as I felt his skin redden.

"Calm down, love. I just wanted to talk, and I'm sure there are things you wouldn't want him to hear," he said, sporting a wide smirk.

"Damien, tell me why you called me here before my finger slips accidentally and your family has to bury you six feet deep," I warned, pressing the gun harder against his throat.

Before I could get another word he move quickly head-butting me.

What the fuck.

"Fucking asshole," I groaned, holding my temple. That was definitely going to bruise. 

"Okay, now we can talk like two grown-ups," he said, taking a seat on the couch and motioning for me to do the same.

Reluctantly, I sat down, realizing I probably shouldn't have come here.

"Damien, get to the point. What do you want?" I asked, crossing my legs.

"I want you to take care of a problem for me."

"And why would I do that for you?"

"Because you owe me, Malik, for the favor I did for you many years ago."

Flashback (11 years ago)

"Hayat, this isn't a good idea," Angelo protested as we approached the warehouse.

"I made a deal, Angelo, and my word means nothing if I don't follow through. You can leave if you want, but I'm not leaving without completing my mission," I replied, my patience wearing thin.

Leaving the underworld wasn't as simple as I'd thought. That woman in the alley had offered me a way out, but once you were in the underworld, escape became nearly impossible. I was on the verge of falling into her trap when she gave me her business card and a proposition that could change my life. However, murder was the only thing that brought me a sense of fulfillment – nothing else.

My heels echoed on the hard concrete floor, attracting the attention of those who thought they could challenge me. Before they could react, I drew my gun and shot one of them in the forehead. It was an easy shot. I continued through the warehouse and descended into the basement, with Angelo following closely behind.

"What's the mission, Hayat?" Angelo whispered, pulling me back towards him to check for any threats.

"We have to release someone," I whispered back.

"Who?"

"Damien Cordova," I replied, causing Angelo's eyes to widen in shock.

"Are you out of your mind? Why are we releasing Damien Cordova? He's a monster. The moment we set him free, he'll return to Valerio and unleash more chaos on the world."

"He has information I need."

"What information, Hayat? What does he know?"

"Information on how to kill Dante Volkov."

"If you kill Dante, the entire Russian mob will be after us."

"Let them. After all, I'm the Void. I have no reason to be afraid."

End of Flashback

________________________

A/N

Word Count: 1044

HELLLLOOOOO LOVEESSSS

You can start to expect regular updates because I finally have my life under control. 

It has been a long day and I am super duper tired so I will head to bed.

Let me know your thoughts on the chapter...

Who is Dante Volkov?