Chapter One- Unexpected Guest

I halted my actions as the sound of knocking reached my ears. I thought it was Ryder, but a glance at the clock showing 12:02 AM made me wonder why he would visit so late. With a sigh and a rub of my tired eyes, I approached the door, pausing to brace myself for another of Ryder's lectures. As the door creaked open, I yawned without opening my eyes.

"Look, Ryder, I don't have time—" My words cut off as I opened my eyes to a shocking sight.

"Dean?" I whispered in disbelief.

"Hey, Elle," he greeted with a smile, causing a wave of shock to wash over me. I could only stare, my hand covering my mouth, at the man I had seen lifeless on the ground months before, now standing before me, very much alive.

"I know... I don't understand it either," he said with a smirk, melting my heart. It was truly him. I rushed into his embrace, his arms encircling me tightly as I clung to him, fearing to let go. My fingers gently combed through his hair as he nestled his head into my neck, his familiar scent enveloping me, bringing immense comfort. How I had missed him.

"But how-" I pulled away as he still held me. Looking at each other.

"I dont know. I woke up here, i dont remember anything" he said looking as confused as i am. "I'm just glad i'm here.......with you" he smiled kissing me with all the passion ive been missing. Once his lips met mine, I melted in the kiss. I pulled away as we looked at each other. A tear fell from my eye as he whipped it away. Softly holding my face.

"I'm sorry," I whispered, pressing my lips together, trying to hold back the tears, but a sob broke through. "I couldn't—" I said softly as another sob escaped. "I couldn't forgive myself," I admitted to him as tears streamed down my face, which he gently wiped away as they fell.

"Its okay" his voice brought me so much comfort as he brought me closer to his chest. Listening to his heartbeat was the only thing I needed to calm my breathing.

"Stay with me" i say softly, calming down. And steadying my breathing with his.

"I'm not going anywhere" he said kissing my head.

...................................................................

I woke up alone in bed, rising swiftly. It was just a dream. I hurriedly dressed and power-walked to the cafeteria, weaving through everyone. It couldn't have been a dream; I saw him, felt him. He was real, I'm certain of it.

"Hey Ellie," Gwen greeted with a smile. I waved back. "I was thinking, how about a party tomorrow night?" Her smile persisted, but my attention drifted past her. "Ellie?" she interjected, snapping me back to reality.

"Sorry, I'll catch up with you later, okay?" I replied with a smile, but quickly resumed my search. In the cafeteria, I spotted Carrie chatting with Liam, and Lydia laughing along. I scanned the room for Dean, my breaths heavy. A lump formed in my throat, my eyes stung, and a void opened in my heart as I exhaled, accepting it was all a dream. Dean hadn't returned. He was gone. Approaching Carrie, her smile broadened upon seeing me.

"Everything okay?' she asked and I nodded while sitting down. I took my sweater in my hand so I felt more comfortable resting my hand on my cheek as the warm fabric touched my skin. Ryder walked over with a tray of food making me instantly get up. I couldn't do this. Tears filled my eyes as i went to leave

"Ellie....wait" Ryder said but i turned away as he followed and i went to leave but i bumped into a chest making me look up to see

"Dean '' I say instantly, feeling more comfortable and calmer. I looked back to see Ryder stopped. He swallowed sharply. Ryder turned back. Like he saw Dean here before. He must have said his hellos while I was sleeping. Dean pulled me into his chest. Wrapping his arms around me. I dug my nails into my hand to make sure this was real. I winced in pain as I closed my eyes, now able to relax in his arms.