Chapter 5- Trust

Chapter 5

"Do you normally barge into her room like this?" Dean questioned as I looked at Ryder. His face was still bruised, but he was healing. Memories of Dean beating Ryder's face played in my mind on repeat, making me cringe slightly.

"Ryder," I said softly.

"No, what is it that's so important that you barge in like this?" Dean looked angry. Why were they doing this?

"The door was open, Dean..." I say, looking down, not wanting to meet their gaze. "Can we please not do this..." I plead with a sigh, weary of the constant conflict. They need to give each other space. There must be more to their discord than just me; it can't be the sole reason for their quarrel. After all, there shouldn't be a fight—I love one, not both. Ryder will always be just a friend, even if he can't accept that yet. He has to learn to see it that way.

"This has gotten out of hand... truly, I don't know what or who you're fighting over, but please don't do it in front of me," I tell them, finally looking between them.

"I'm sorry," Ryder spoke, making me look at him. "I'll talk to you later," he said, giving me a short smile before leaving. I sighed as I looked over at Dean. His face didn't relax; he just looked angry.

"Kylen told me... someone killed me... but I just don't remember, I wish I could—"

"Wait, what?" I interrupt him, looking at him in confusion. Dean doesn't remember Ryder killing him. But why is Kylen so desperate to find out? Now, I definitely don't trust Kylen, not even for a second. I need to tell Ryder that Kylen is onto him.

"He said—" Our conversation is abruptly cut off by the alarm summoning us to an emergency meeting. Confused, I glance at Dean as we exit the room, joining everyone else heading to the meeting area. My eyes scan the crowd for Jennie.

"I need to find Jennie," I say, but Dean grabs my arm, prompting a puzzled look from me.

"She's fine... stay here," Dean insists, causing me to look down. Why would he say that? His behavior is odd. I scan the crowd for Ryder but can't spot him. We stand there for a few minutes until Kylen approaches the microphone.

"Hello, everyone... I've called this meeting to address some recent events," he begins, while I continue to search for Ryder. "This will also serve as a trial, and hopefully, a conviction," he declares, drawing my attention. A trial? "We must uncover who has been violating our rules."

I averted his gaze and continued to search for Ryder. This couldn't be good.

"All I ask of you is to follow our rules... We make rules to keep us safe," Kylen explained, "which is why those who break them... are a threat."

"Evelyn, would you come up here?" Kylen called out, causing everyone to turn their attention to me. My skin felt numb, and my legs seemed unable to move. As I slowly approached Kylen, he said, "I'm asking Evelyn to come up here because she is one of the few people I can trust, and whom you can trust too." A weight was lifted off my shoulders.

"I don't know about you, but I'm tired of liars," Kylen declared as I stood beside him, fear coursing through me. "That's why they can't lie anymore," he continued, "If you've been breaking the rules, come clean, or we all suffer," Kylen stated. "I only want what's best for all of you, I care about each and every one of you..." I could tell Kylen was lying. I didn't trust him, but these poor people did. "Would you like to add anything, Evelyn?" he asked with a smile, making me shake my head.

"Whoever is breaking these rules, or if it's a group of you, you have twenty-four hours to come clean before all of you face this trial," he said, his voice so calm it sent shivers down my spine.