Chapter 19- Forgiveness From The Dead

Chapter 19

                                                Ellies POV

A week has gone by and we still haven't buried all the bodies. I was determined today that i would get everyone a resting place today. And Kent was helping me do so.

I look at the graves. All of the graves we had to fill. Pain filled my heart as it was overbearing.

"Here Elle" Carrie said handing me a jacket. "You must be freezing, y'all have been working all day, you need to rest" she spoke and i put on the jacket.

"No they need a place to rest" i say filling the holes with dirt as the dead bodies filled them. Carrie saw she didn't need to fight me. She sighed before going back inside. I finished up the hole i was in , before moving to my dad's grave. They buried him for me. Jennie and Tommy even made a sign with his name. I looked down at my red hands as, the pain was starting to kick in. they were bleeding. I looked up to see Ryder as he staired at my hands. I moved my hands away hiding the pain in my face.

"Hey how are you holding up?" i ask making him shrug. a shrug i knew all to well.

"I'm alright," he replied, prompting a slight nod from me. I proceeded to scoop up dirt, continuing to fill the holes. Ryder observed my actions intently. Our communication had dwindled to a few words per day. An awkward tension had lingered between us since the altercation in the rain. He refrained from drinking and focused solely on caring for Oliver. I was relieved he heeded my advice, knowing it would bring Lydia joy. Ryder's love for the baby was all she had ever desired. My emotions surfaced as I worked, and then another shovel struck mine. Looking up, I saw Ryder. We exchanged silent glances before resuming our task. A hush enveloped us, and I noticed Kent finishing up one last hole before pausing for a break.

"Oliver opened his eyes" he stated smiling a bit making me smile "while Jennie was holding him" he spoke making me smile wider as i looked up at him.

"I wish i didn't miss that" i say honestly before going back to what i was doing. Before ryder placed his hand on mine making me stop.

""Take a break, Ellie," he told me softly, causing me to shake my head.

"No, I don't need one," I replied, as he gently grasped me, prompting eye contact.

"Your hands tell a different story," he said, leading me to step back. I walked inside, him trailing behind, as I reached for a glass of water.

"Look, I don't need you to care for me," I said harshly. "Once this is over, I'm going after Dean," I declared to Ryder, who scoffed in response. I looked at him, puzzled.

"Don't you ever let it go?" he challenged, i looked at him in disbelief.

"Let it go? Ryder, I've left it alone for weeks now. I don't expect you to understand," I retorted, as he shook his head and I pressed, "What?" increasingly annoyed.

"He allowed them to hurt you..... he let that happen to you," he said, advancing as I followed his gaze. "He didn't return for you, he let them chain you up. He left you to die..." His words were laced with anger, leaving me speechless. "He left us to die," he added, the words tinged with pain. I looked over at our group.

"Kylen has him—" I began, attempting to justify Dean's actions, but Ryder cut me off, drawing my wandering eyes back to his.

"No," he interjected, leaving me confused. "If you can criticize my actions... you can't make excuses for his," he sighed, departing and leaving me lost in thought. He was right; Ryder had a point. Yet, I couldn't reconcile with it.