Chapter 22- On The Road Again

Chapter 22

Seated by the fire I had kindled to fend off the chill, I rubbed my arms, seeking warmth for my shivering body. Alone, the cold seemed more biting, a stark contrast to times with Ryder or Dean. Their presence, even when silence reigned, meant I wasn't truly solitary. Now, the absence of life weighs heavily, a reminder of days filled with carefree laughter and familial bonds, unthreatened by looming perils. The dream of a safe haven on the coast beckons—a life without flight, alongside Jennie and the remnants of my family. I worry for Dean, fearing our bond altered by the events with Ryder, events that fill me with regret and shame. As Ryder faces his own trials, mourning Lydia, I unfold the map, tracing the path on where Im headed. I have but three days. The stakes are high; their survival rests on my shoulders. A snapped twig freezes me, my grip tightening on the gun, only to relax at the sight of a dog. A laugh escapes me, a fleeting release, as I pocket the map and press a hand to my heart.

"You scared me," I said with a smile, causing the dog to turn its head toward me. Another twig snapped, tensing my body. I stood and gripped my gun as more twigs cracked in every direction, spooking my horse. I tried to steady my breathing as the sound of horses made me look around. Attempting to reach my horse, a knife was thrown at my leg, eliciting a scream of pain from me. As my horse bolted, I called out to it, fear overwhelming me. Horses surrounded me, sending shivers of dread through me. I looked down at the knife and grasped it firmly.

"Come on, Ellie," I encouraged myself, pulling the knife out with a scream of agony. My only instinct was to run into the dark forest, leaving all my belongings behind, running in sheer terror as the noises intensified. Branches scratched me as I ran, eventually leading me into an open field near a road. Glancing back, I saw people on horses approaching me. I cried out, pushing myself to run, but they closed in. Others followed, not on horses, but on infected creatures. The ground trembled, and the creatures' screeches made me want to cover my ears. The people wielded large knives and spears. In horror, I watched one dismount and tackle me. I fought back with the knife, then quickly got to my feet and fired my gun at them, just before a spike struck my side. Groaning in pain, I recalled Lionel's words. Weakness overtook me as I attempted to flee, but it was futile. My vision blurred, and my eyes struggled to remain open. I collapsed, blood spilling from my mouth as I tried to crawl away. My eyes shut as the sounds of the infected creatures filled my ears, and darkness consumed me.

..........................................................................................

I woke up, gasping for air as agony engulfed my left side. As I attempted to move, I realized I was bound to the bed, prompting a cry of distress. Surveying my surroundings, I found myself in a room bearing a striking resemblance to a hospital, which oddly comforted me, reminiscent of my city days. The door emitted a buzz, and someone entered, causing me to attempt movement, only to be met with a surge of pain that made me cry out. A man with painted face and a body marred by scars, He paused to observe me before approaching. His gaze shifted to my side, and as I recoiled, a cry escaped me.

"Dont touch me!" i yelled at him making him stop for a moment. He moved over to the rope as i watched him closely. "you are you people"  I let out a breath as he untied me.I shifted and let out a scream of agony as blood gushed from my leg and side. Tears streamed down my face as I watched him exit the room. I wept, hoping to bleed out just to end the pain. My sobbing ceased when I heard the door open, sending shivers of fear through me. He returned with a cloth and vodka. Laughter mixed with my tears. I felt dead already. This man was clueless about what he was doing. I was as good as dead.

"Please," I cried, drawing his gaze. "You have to help me," I sobbed, as he held up the rag and vodka bottle. "There's something here that could make me very sick," I tried to explain, but he just stared. "I need to remove it, the spike," I told him, but he just looked at me. My sobs grew as hope faded; he didn't understand. "The spike, right here—" I glanced down to my side, but there was no spike.