Chapter 25- Hope Was Made For Us

After several days, we arrived at the safe haven I had begun to think didn't exist. Standing on the boat, I gazed at the beautiful beach, the sand, and felt the warmth soaking into my skin, bringing a surge of happiness. Once on land, I eagerly anticipated greeting everyone. I spotted Carrie and Liam; Carrie's smile vanished as soon as she saw me. Tears welled up in my eyes as I heard her shouting, though her words were indistinct. She ran towards me as I moved to meet her, and I fell into her embrace.

"We made it," Carrie laughed, holding me close and kissing my head. I was soon welcomed by everyone—Liam, my family. Overwhelmed with happiness, I cried tears of joy. Letting go, I saw Jennie and smiled as she rushed towards me. She melted into my arms, and in that moment, knowing we were finally safe, I knew I could keep my promise. i opened my eyes to see someone i thought id never see again. Gwen. 

"Oh my God, Gwen," I sobbed as she stepped into my embrace. Tears of joy streamed down my face at the sight of everyone I thought I'd never see again, comforted by the knowledge that I'd never have to leave them and that it could remain this way forever.

"Welcome," said a man with long hair and soft features, giving me a feeling of home. "My name is Peter, the founder of the sanctuary. You are welcome to anything, and if you need anything, please just ask. We have plenty of room; there's still space on the cruise ship, but most of our newcomers prefer the tents on the beach." His smile was infectious, prompting one from me in return.

"Thank you," I smiled.

"Let's celebrate," Carrie laughed.

................................................................

As darkness cloaked the sky, the flicker of candlelight cast a warm glow around me. The sounds of merriment quieted down as all present reveled in the feast and libations, marking my homecoming. The heartfelt reception bestowed upon me by this place, and the bonds already formed among my companions, instilled a sense of belonging inside me, I felt fortunate to be among such wonderful people. My wandering gaze halted when I spotted Ryder by the water's edge. Excusing myself, I approached him.

"Hi," I said, startling him slightly, which made me chuckle as he joined in with a soft laugh. It faded as we both turned to watch the ocean waves crashing ashore.

"I—"

"Thank—," we began simultaneously, prompting smiles from both of us.

"No, sorry, you—"

"Sorry, you—" Once again, we spoke over each other, eliciting laughter from me while he watched in admiration, prompting an exchange of glances between us. "i um- im sorry" i say softly to him posing his to glace at me. "About what i said before i left" i tell him making him look away. 

"Ellie i understand it was a mistake....and you don't need to apologize-" i cut him off with sadness in my voice. 

"no let me-" i say but he speaks over. shaking his head. 

"You don't need to" he spoke softly staring into my eyes. i could feel the sadness in his eyes. i shook my head at him. 

"please" i whispered not looking away from him. 

"im sorry for what i said back at the camp" he tells me sending a wave of shock through me. "i couldn't just let you die......" he spoke looking away from my eyes unable to say that to my face. i felt a tear fall down my face as i looked at him. i could tell he was keeping everything and what i told him did hurt him. i knew it. and it pained me. i took a bold step and made my way closer to him as he looked down. i placed my hand on his face making him relax and look up at me.