Chapter 24: To Be Loved Is To Be Changed

Chapter 24

I was jolted awake by the sound of an alarm, instantly alert. I attempted to move, but found my hands bound as I sat upright on a horse, a man at the reins.

"She's awake," Rodger's voice caused me to glare. "Just in time, too," he added as he halted the horse and dismounted. I watched his every move, growing nervous as he approached. A cloth was tied around my hands, muffling my mouth. I struggled in an attempt to escape, but he stopped me. My muffled sounds filled the air as he lifted and set me down. Frantically, I looked around for Ridge.

"Don't worry, your friend is far away from here," he said as I looked at him nervously. The sound of clashing water filled my ears while I tried to look around, the moon and some distant lights providing the only illumination. It gave me an eerie feeling, knowing that without these lights, no one would ever find me. I was alone, exactly what Kylen wanted. Rodger grabbed my bound hands and dragged me along. As we entered the doors, I glanced behind me just as they shut with the sound of an alarm. Now, I was truly alone. I suppressed the urge to vomit and the tears in my eyes. I followed them inside. The lights were dim, and the place seemed lifeless, except for the soldiers. White walls, small lights above them—it felt cold and dead. They stopped, making me try to hide my fear-stricken face. Rodger pulled the cloth from my mouth down to my neck. I glared at him.

"Very friendly" he whispered at me. Before he placed the cloth back into my mouth almost making me gag.

"Rodger" the other man said almost feeling pity for me.

'What, she broke my face," he pleaded making the other guy shake his head. The door buzzed, and Rodger pushed me in before it shut. I tried to move toward the door, but I stopped once it closed. A tear rolled down my cheek as the room plunged into darkness, with only one dim light. The wall in front of me was all windows, allowing the moonlight to stream in. I realized we were surrounded by water, crashing against the mountain. My breath caught when I saw a figure approaching. I could barely make out their face as they came closer. Looking up, I saw Kylen, which made me step back. He came closer and cut my hands free, causing me to pause. He removed the cloth from my mouth, but I couldn't speak a word.

"Hello Evelyn" he smiled at me. I kept my mouth shut. "I hope my men weren't to rough on you" he gave fake pity making me let out a breath i didn't know i was holding.

"How did you find me" i managed to say as i swallowed down my fear.

"Oh, Evelyn, you don't think I'm foolish enough not to track you," he said with a smile, causing me to look at him in confusion. "I've placed a tracker inside your neck," he revealed, a hint of poison slipping through his words. "When I transported you to your little fantasy world..." he trailed off as he gently touched my cheek, brushing a strand of hair from my face.  

"Why are you doing this?" I asked, a tear rolling down my cheek, which he tenderly wiped away.

"You," he declared, "possess something very small within you that I want. With just one incision in your neck, you will transform into the very creature I wish you to become," he proclaimed, making my heart sink. 

"you don't understand there are people that can control these creatures.....is it true they are really people?" i asked making Kylen chuckle. 

"i control them" he said making me swallow my fear as i watched him. "and i control you"

"You may think that whatever Michael injected Dean with is the reason he is the way he is..." he paused for a moment. "Then you're not as smart as I thought," I looked away, moving my face from his, which made him laugh.