The Last Goodbye

"Can I get you anything, daddy? Maybe something to drink," asked Sophie.

The doorbell rang which made her father answer, "Well it seems you could get the door, otherwise I'm fine, honey."

Sophie made her way to the front door hoping it would not be another neighbour with a get-well gift basket. Their kitchen was filled with fruit, jam, and chocolate from the many baskets they had already received. Not to mention all the flowers that filled their living room.

While she appreciated the gesture, none of it really helped, but when she opened the door she found something she could use, something she actually needed. She found her best friend.

"Ben?" Sophie half-yelled, bringing her arms around him for a tight hug, "What are you doing here?"

Ben had looked forward to hugging Sophie again, he had missed her greatly; missed her smell, her touch, her beautiful voice. He breathed her in deeply before answering, "What do you mean? This is where I belong."

"But what about your work?" asked Sophie.

"I resigned; I need to be here for you, and Richard."

That made Sophie release Benedict from her embrace and she held him at arm's length to get a look at his face, though, to her, he didn't look like he was joking.

"What do you mean you resigned? You can't just quit your job" she asked him.

"If you can, then why can't I? Richard is like a father to me, and you are my best friend in the world." Benedict left out the part about being in love with her.

Sophie was touched and drew him back into another hug, "I really missed you, Ben."

Sophie also breathed in Benedict's smell and enjoyed their closeness. She felt safe in his arms and part of her never wanted to let go, but after a short while the cool wind hitting her neck made her want to get back inside. She also knew that her father would want to see who had come.

"Come on in, dad is on the sofa, he will be so happy you came." Sophie spoke as she made room for Benedict to enter.

"Well, I'll be damned." said Richard as he saw Benedict enter the living room.

"How 'you doing?" asked Benedict putting out his hand for Richard to shake.

Benedict noticed Richard having a little trouble coordinating his movement, but once his hand found the spot, his other was not far behind and Richard held onto Ben's hand while they talked.

"Doctors haven't been kind to me, that chemo does not feel good, and my legs aren't what they used to be," Richard answered while Benedict manoeuvred to sit down on the sofa beside Richard.

Ben could see that Richard had lost quite a bit of weight and he looked grayer than he used to.

"Though it has been nice getting to spend so much time with my girl." Richard continued.

"I bet." answered Benedict, knowing just how much joy Sophie could provide simply by being around. Benedict looked through the door to the kitchen and saw Sophie standing there, preparing a tray of snacks.

Richard could feel Benedict's pulse quicken through their clasped hands; this made Richard also notice the look in Benedict' eyes.

Richard looked back to see what Benedict was gazing at, though he already knew who it was. When Richard turned, Ben snapped back to reality and averted his eyes, he feared Richard would find out what he felt and pulled his hand away.

While they ate the snacks Sophie had brought and talked, Benedict had trouble looking up at either Richard or Sophie, hoping to disguise his love, but this had the opposite effect since it only confirmed Richard's suspicion, though Richard didn't mention anything about it.