A belated conversation

Sunday morning Sophie was awoken from a pleasant dream by Kate sitting down on Sophie's bed.

"Hey, wake up sleepy head." Kate said, giving Sophie an impatient and irritated nudge.

"'Morning." Sophie answered and rubbed her eyes.

"Don't 'Morning me, you didn't call yesterday. What happened? Did you tell him?"

Sophie thought back on the previous evening and smiled.

Kate was getting impatient, "Come on, get talking, did you chicken out again? Speak woman!"

Sophie talked while Kate's excitement grew. Kate squealed, uh'ed, ah'ed and aw'ed throughout the story.

Kate laughed when Sophie told her how she had run out of the room when they heard Violet and Edmund approach.

"I think he is allowed to have girls in his room, you know. You are adults." She said to Sophie.

"I know, it was a reflex." Sophie excused, "I'm kinda glad we didn't get caught making out though... I'd have been so embarrassed, besides, they would have made such a big deal out of it."

"Well, it kinda is a big deal, but I get your point." Kate said, "So what are you gonna do now?"

"Haven't really thought that far ahead. Guess I should talk with him... what time is it?"

"A little after eight, why?" Kate said.

"I should get over to take care of Ben, he must be getting up soon."

Kate couldn't help teasing her best friend, " take care of , huh?"

"Remember to use protect..." she added, but was stopped by a pillow hitting her in the face.

Kate followed Sophie next door and after greeting Violet, Edmund and Anthony who were sitting in the kitchen waiting for the rest of their clan, they walked upstairs to Benedict's room.

Benedict was sitting in his bed watching TV when they came in.

"Rise and shine, lover boy!" Kate exclaimed and made kissing sounds, taking pleasure in teasing Benedict.

"You told her already?" He asked Sophie, more surprised than mad.

"Had to, she woke me up and demanded I tell her." Sophie answered as she walked to Benedict's bed and grabbed one of his hands in hers.

"Wait, how did she know there was anything to tell?" Ben asked with a slightly confused expression.

"I'll tell you later, let's get you fed first," Sophie said, "do you think you can handle the stairs? It would be a nice surprise for your parents to see you walk in."

"Tessa said that if I felt up to it and I had help, I should be well enough to take the stairs. As long as we are careful," Benedict answered, "but what do we tell them about last night?"

Sophie cringed when she heard Tessa's name, but remembering the night before quickly soothed her jealousy. "Let's just hold off on telling them anything before we've had a chance to talk, okay?"

Sophie held out her hand for Benedict to hold on to as he got out of the bed and when Kate saw Benedict standing in front of her for the first time in months, she didn't tease. She hugged him and spoke softly, "I'm so proud of you."

"Look who's hungry," Kate announced as she came into the kitchen. The rest of the Bridgerton kids were still in bed.

Violet, Anthony and Edmund looked up from their papers and were stunned when Benedict walked in, holding on to Sophie for support. He was a little out of breath from the stairs.