Waiting Games

Kate came by the hospital a little after ten; when she entered Sophie's room Elizabeth and Violet were talking with Sophie. Sophie asked for some time to talk with Kate, so Violet and Elizabeth went to join Edmund and check on Benedict yet again.

"How are you feeling?" asked Kate, but not getting an answer from Sophie, who looked like she had something on her mind.

"I brought you something to cheer you up." She continued retrieving Mr. Snuggles from a bag and handed it to Sophie.

Sophie took the stuffed bear from her best friend and placed it in her lap looking at it. Guilt swirling in ber

"I was so scared he was dead." Sophie said quietly.

Kate grabbed Sophie's hand and answered, "Me too."

Sophie paused shortly, ashamed of what she was about to tell her best friend.

"I feel so guilty," She whispered, Kate only just being able to hear her.

"About the things you said to him? Sweetie, he knows you didn't mean it; you were just sad." Kate said, trying to make Sophie feel better.

"I tell him I hate him and that he's a liar... I even threw this thing at him." she lifted the teddy bear as a gesture.

"The sweetest present I've ever gotten, from the sweetest and best guy, and I threw it at him... I could see how hurt he was... and after all that I nearly killed him," Sophie started hulking, "and now he's in a coma, and it's my fault."

Kate put her arms around Sophie and held her, "It was an accident, it's no-one's fault."

"It's my fault, I made the treehouse fall, and... and then I fell."

"It's okay, sweetie, none of that makes it your fault. You're just lucky you didn't stand where Ben did, or you might have been killed." Kate said. Sophie started sobbing louder.

"He wasn't standing under the treehouse... he jumped on top of me just before it fell.

"I told him I hate him and he saves my life... and now he may never wake up again, all because of me... if I hadn't yelled at him, or if I hadn't tried to climb in that stupid treehouse...

"Or if he would have just stayed where he was... then he would have been fine..."

Kate wanted to say something, but could not find the words, so Sophie continued.

"What am I gonna say to Edmund and Violet... I almost killed their son... i almost killed anthony's brother they are gonna hate me... you should hate me

Kate spoke up, "They are not gonna hate you, they love you as do I ."

Sophie was not convinced, "Of course they are, I hate me, I almost killed my best friend... If he ever wakes up he's gonna hate me too."

Kate changed tactics and tried to force Sophie to realise that it was not her fault, "Listen here, no-one's gonna hate you, especially not Ben, he loves you Sophie. And even though you feel guilty, the truth is that it was an accident, it was not your fault.

"Furthermore, don't talk about Benedict like he's dead, or he's gonna die... He's gonna be fine, and he's gonna forgive you for everything you said, if he hasn't already."

Sophie was stumped and remained silent for several minutes.

Kate had gotten through to her a little but there was still some guilt in Sophie's mind, "Thank you, but I've still been a lousy friend... I have no idea what I would have done without him... he just let me move in with him after Jack cheated on me, without even hesitating, doing everything to make me feel better.