Secrets

Violet and Edmund were, of course, ecstatic about Benedict's progress and decided that celebrations were in order. The Friday after Sophie's birthday, they held a small party at the house.

Aside from Violet, Edmund, Elizabeth, Sophie and Benedict, all the rest of the Bridgerton siblings and Kate and Simon were there, as well as both Benedict's physical therapists George and Tessa. A few of Benedict's friends were there as well as some of Sophie's.

"Nice to see you up and walking," said Henry, Benedict's former colleague.

"Nice to be up, I was going crazy being in bed all the time."

That provided Henry with a way to bring up another subject, without just asking out of the blue.

"Speaking of going crazy... how are you doing with your little crush?" Henry asked, giving a quick glance towards Sophie across the room.

Benedict was not sure how much he should say, the relationship was supposed to remain secret for the time being.

"Eh, well it was awkward at first, especially the sponge baths..." Benedict started.

"I can imagine," Henry interjected with a chuckle.

"But after she kissed me last week and told me she loved me, I guess things have been getting better," Benedict whispered, even though no one was close enough to hear him had he spoken normally.

Henry was stunned for a second before his face turned into a grin.

"Don't tell anyone though, we are keeping it a secret for now... so wipe that smirk off your face." Benedict warned.

Henry kept smiling, "Hey, I'm just happy for you, though I do think we might be celebrating the wrong thing here," he gestured to the cake with the writing Congratulations on your first steps Benedict! "but I'll keep my mouth shut."

Benedict thanked him and quickly changed the subject when his father came over.

"So, Henry, it was nice of you to travel all the way here for this, it's nice to know my boy made some good friends. How are you holding up without having Ben around?" Edmund said.

"Well sir, the company will survive, but the ladies and some of the gents in the office are heartbroken." Henry answered.

"Really? Well perhaps you should hurry back then, son. Besides, chicks dig scars, so maybe now you could find yourself a girlfriend." Edmund said jovially "you never were one to be outdone by your brother for long"

Benedict became a little nervous when his father mentioned him getting a girlfriend, while Henry suppressed a small laugh at the irony.

Henry decided to tease Ben a little, "Yeah, I bet Christine wouldn't mind a little attention from you, Ben."

"Christine?" Edmund said, intrigued.

"Very funny. Don't pay any attention to him, Dad. Christine is over fifty, and she's married." Benedict said, giving a hard glance to Henry.

The party went on. Benedict and Sophie kept away from each other in an attempt to keep their relationship a secret, though neither could keep their eyes from seeking the other out throughout the evening.

When some of the people started dancing, Benedict felt a strong desire to grab Sophie's hand and pull her to the dancefloor. Sophie had the same desire, but she too held back.

Benedict was conflicted when Tessa pulled him from his chair, but thought it would draw too much suspicion if he declined; had he known the jealousy it sparked in Sophie when she saw the pretty physical therapist drag her patient to the dance floor, he would have faked a sore leg.