Mistletoe and Misery

Michael Buble flowed from the CD player as they danced; Richard twirled Elizabeth by the fireplace while Edmund and Violet used the spot next to the Christmas tree. Ben and Sophie were next to the kitchen, moving their bodies to the music. Anthony had escaped for the night to Kate and her families, Daphne was with Simon and the rest of the Bridgerton Clan were visiting the Featherington's having not wanted to get pulled into the dancing that they knew was coming.

All three men had groaned in complaint when the women had insisted they dance; not that they minded dancing, but the part about getting up from the sofa, they disliked slightly as well as putting down their beers.

"I had to marry a dance teacher," Richard had said as always; his fake complaining was just as much a tradition as the dancing.

"Oh, shut up, you," was Elizabeth's answer, she too never broke the tradition.

Sophie and Benedict had heard those exact words more times than they could recall and gave each other a knowing look accompanied by a small laugh.

Ben was unsure this year whether he preferred the fast or the slow dances with Sophie; having her close to him felt so good, but not being closer, not being able to kiss her, was almost painful.

In both situations his pulse raced, be it from the exercise that also made him breathe more deeply or from the closeness, and fear of discovery he didn't know and all of that made his breath come closer together. That and he was having to constantly try to think of things that were not Sophie, so as not to get an erection in front of everyone.

He asked himself why she had to be so beautiful, over and over in his head. Why wasn't she his? When she twirled, her beautiful red dress she wore would lift up in the air showing Ben a little more of her beautiful legs. The slight glistening of sweat that had formed on her upper chest from the workout was making it hard for Ben not to steal glances.

She looked radiant and like a fairy princess.

The strands of her long golden hair that would fall in front of her beautiful face made Ben ache to reach out and glide his fingers across her forehead as he wanted to slide the wayward locks back behind her ears. He wanted so much more than he had and wanted to yell his feelings at her but in front of his parents and hers... that was not an option.

As always, the thing he found most lovely of all, was the joy he saw in both her beautiful green eyes, that held so much warmth, and in her stunning smile, that made his stomach flutter and his heart melt and yearn for something he was sure he would never have.

After dancing for several songs, both fast and slow ones, it was time for a break and a little refreshment.

Richard and Edmund were back on the sofa quickly, Richard feeling a little dizzy but this passed as he sat down. Elizabeth and Sophie took a little longer to sit down at the coffee table across from where the two men were slumped. Violet had headed to the kitchen for the refreshments calling for her son to help her before he had the chance to sit, grumbling he left the room and went after his mother.

Sophie felt a little flushed from the dancing and decided to go freshen up. Just as she reached the door to the kitchen, Benedict was about to come out holding a tray, both stopped just short of bumping into each other pausing in the doorway. "Sorry" they both said at the same time, embarrassed grins on their faces as they looked at one another.

"You have to kiss," called Richard with a smirk on his face as he pointed to the mistletoe suspended in the doorway. Kate had placed it there earlier in the day much to the confusion of everyone but she had said it was tradition in her family and she wanted to share it with her soon to be family.