Pick Your Monster

Team scrambled off of the bed away from Win. He ran his hands over his arms, chasing back the chill in the room. He had been right. Win hadn't told him everything. And that thing was the evidence.

"What is it?" Team demanded. The whites of his eyes flashed, panicky from the ordeal.

"You don't have to worry. I can control it." The words meant to calm missed their mark.

"Can you? What would have happened to me if you didn't wake up?" Those teeth looked awfully sharp and Team had felt the creature's breath on his neck.

Win hesitated. He didn't know how to answer, or what the answer was. Only Sert had touched it, and... Yeah.

The silence was all the explanation Team needed. The hour was earlier than he had intended to leave for his classes, the sun not yet up. Team could call a taxi and go home. Decompress from the shock and clear his head, talk to Win later when he wasn't so shaken. He shoved the few things he brought with him into his red backpack. He ignored the intensity of Win's stare as the zipper closed.

Oh, shit. This is about to go sideways, Win realized. He prayed Team would listen, and if not, forgive him.

In a blur, Win was up and blocking the door, barring Team's exit.

"You can't leave." Win watched Team's face twist in disbelief and a hint of fear. "It's for your safety!" Win quickly added, not sure of whatever Team had just imagined.

"Safety? You had a demon in your room. It almost took a bite out of me, Hia." Team attempted to move past him, but Win's body was rigid as stone.

"Please," Win pleaded. "I would never, have never hurt you. You just don't understand." A harsh glint entered Team's eyes.

Gee, wonder why?

"Hia. Move." Team reached for the doorknob, intent on figuring out a way past the vampire blockade.

This was playing out exactly how Win didn't want. The apparition had freaked Team out, and rightfully so. It was on Win for not telling him sooner. Now Team wasn't receptive and Win hadn't scratched the surface of all the other shit going on. Goddamnit.

Win grabbed Team's shoulders, which halted the clawing at his door. "Team! Stop! Please, I don't want to compel you."

Team struggled futilely in Win's iron grip before glaring at him. "Let me go. You can't just keep me here!"

"I have to! I don't want you to die!" Win's voice broke before he swept Team into his arms. He crushed Team to him, afraid he would vanish while a sob threatened his throat. He couldn't help remembering the awful videos he found on Sert's computer. The terrible things A-wut had done in the past to humans. To him.

"I'm sorry that thing came out, and I scared you, but it's the least of our problems."

Team stood there, trapped in Win's embrace. "Die? Why would I die?" Win's reaction was spooking him worse than the monster.

"You're in danger, and it's all my fault." Win pulled back to look at him, eyes rimmed in red. "I'm so sorry for selfishly dragging you into this."

"Hia, what's going on?" Team allowed himself to be guided back to the bed, Win squeezing him a bit too tightly. Something had changed. The world was not the same as when Team fell asleep the previous night.

"It's A-wut. He's sentenced to death, but is missing. If given a chance, he'll come after you, for spite. He hates me, Team. More than you can imagine. He'll make you do something unspeakable, use you as a weapon. Or kill you. And all because you're involved with me." Win hung his head, feeling miserable.