2

Beyonce Giselle Knowles

I sat in the backseat of the car with my mother while our driver, Harold, drove us to move me into my dorm.

"Are you sure you don't want me to call the dean to get you a room on your own?" My mother asked for what had to be the millionth time.

"It'll be fine mama" I did not need to give anybody another reason to treat me like just another spoiled rich girl. I drowned out my mother's speech wondering what my roommate would be like. I hoped college would prove to be better than all my other years of school.

"Beyonce, are you listening to me!" My mother said slightly raising her voice.

"Sorry mama what'd you say?" I asked, turning my attention back to her.

"Your father paid good money to get you here, so you better not have any more mishaps." She said and I knew exactly what she was referring to. I simply nodded and enjoyed the rest of the ride in silence.

Once we arrived, I was greeted by the RA, his nametag said Niko. He was a bit taken aback to see Harold and about five other assistants carrying all the things my mother had bought.

"Are you just going to stare or do your job?" My mother rudely asked him, he cleared his throat before picking up the clipboard.

"Name?"

"Beyonce Knowles" I said, and the last name seemed to automatically make things make sense to him. As usual. I always said Houston was big but not big enough. I'd never met anyone who didn't know me or my family solely by our name.

He handed me a packet and led us to the 5th floor, specifically room 5034. "Remady & Beyonce" were the names on the door...

"Did y'all spell her name wrong?" I asked out of curiosity, and he shook his head, no and was about to open his mouth to speak before my mother cut him off.

"Thank you, you're dismissed." He simply nodded and headed back down the hallway. I opened the door to see another girl standing in the closet putting her belongings up. She looked towards the door a bit startled to see all the people but offered a smile anyway, one that I returned.

"Hello" she spoke with an accent and walked up to me offering her hand "Remady."

"Beyonce" I said shaking her hand. I watched as my mother started telling our assistants where to put things and making sure everything was how she wanted it.

"Is your family already gone?" I asked Remady seeing she only seemed about 75% done with everything.

"Oh, I moved in by myself, I'm not from here." She said going back towards her side of the room.

"Well, I can help you." I offered and she nodded, by the time we finished getting her things together my mother had made sure the room was suitable to her standards.

"Alright Beyonce I'm not staying here any longer, remember what I said." She said walking out the door without even a second thought.

I sighed internally before saying thank you and goodbye to everyone who had helped. Remady and I sat on our own beds, facing one another. She was gorgeous...and clearly had no idea who I was, the year was starting off great already.

"So, tell me about yourself." I said, eager to learn her story, and finally create my own.