Caring nature

Lilith Azar

I chuckled as Valko told me an anecdote about the day he met his wife. They've been married for almost 12 years — their anniversary is actually in a couple of days, which is when she will join him in this very yacht. Right after I get off; he's rotten like that.

"She seemed so shocked that a man wearing a Dior suit didn't speak Hermès," Valko took a sip of his wine and signalled a stewardess to refill it. "I was only there to buy something for my girlfriend at the time, and I ended up in Desi's bed that night," his wife's name is Desislava, but he calls her Desi.

I nodded, not knowing what to say next "Do you love Desi?"

Valko nodded as his smile softened "More than life itself; I would give everything I have for her. She's an amazing woman."

I pursed my lips; when he talks about his wife I feel awful. "When was the first time you had sex with another woman after you and her started your relationship?" It's a long question, but he doesn't like the 'C' word. Valko says he's not cheating on his wife, because he's emotionally faithful to her — it's hard to refute his argument when mine for doing the work I do, and still be in a committed relationship is not so far from it. However, my partner does know about it.

"About three months in," he replied — he's always been very honest and open with me; my work comes with a lot of secrecy, and men open quite rapidly when you give them good sex.

Why do you think sex was used as a weapon during the Cold War?

I lightly nodded "Who did you fuck?"

"Italy is so beautiful," he grinned, and I could see a tint of regret in his eyes. As if his smile didn't match his feelings. "I was there visiting a friend from university. For a week we stayed in Roma, going out for every meal and basking in the beauty and glory of every corner. Then he had the idea to go visit his sister — they were twins — she lived in Palermo, so we went." He cleared his throat and looked at the stewardesses "Please bring out the vodka and give us some space."

"Thank you," I smiled at the girl who retrieved our glasses to change them for lowball glasses.

Once we were alone, he continued speaking: "Her name was Livia; she had this beautiful Aquiline nose she loathed, but I loved it so much. The night we flew to Sicily my friend got a call from his ex-girlfriend, who he still loved, so he immediately rushed to her."

I smiled "Good boy."

Valko chuckled "Yes, I agree." The smile on his lips softened "Livia cancelled her plans with her friends to take me out and make up for her brother ditching me. She took me to this little restaurant by the sea and we ate some Sicilian pasta she loved with aubergine—"

"Pasta alla Norma," Ace spoke; he beat me to it.

Valko pointed at Ace with a half smile "That exactly. After that she wanted to take a walk on the beach, so we did. We hadn't spoken that long in years and I was reminded of the deep understanding she always had of me — everything with her was always so organic and lovely. It made me feel levelled — she made me feel levelled." The chief stew brought the bottle of vodka and poured us both, then left the bottle and left us alone once again. "During that walk I confessed to her how I had always been in love with her; since we met, it was instant, and it always sort of irked me how she obtained me so quickly, without even wanting me. My love for her was always lurking behind me, like an unwelcomed breeze tickling my ear."