Is that a smile I see?

Ace Carlyle

I took a deep breath as I pressed the button to kill the engine of the car. I'm extremely anxious about how my little girl will react when she sees me – maybe she has forgotten who I am, and it would probably be for the best...I'm not worth it.

"Are you all right, Ace?" Lilith asked as she placed her hand atop of mine.

My eyes remained on the door of the chateau "Maybe we should go, maybe this wasn't the best idea."

Lilith let go of my hand and unbuckled her seatbelt to get off the car. She walked around the front and opened my door "Ace, look at me."

I turned my head to look at her and felt tears forming in my eyes "I'm scared, Lilith."

"You have nothing to be scared of, Ace," her hands cupped my face – her hands are slightly cold, which soothed me. "You love Emilia more than anything, don't you?"

I nodded "She's my everything."

"Then you have nothing to worry about. Just show her that; show her how much you love her and how you've missed her – tell her all the important things," she explained in a desperate tone. "You have done everything you can to better yourself and you're in the right path to get even better; you did that for her."

"I did," I said in a shaky voice.

"Your lowest moments don't define you, Ace," she frowned, wiping away my tears. "How you overcome those moments, does. We're going to have so much fun today," Lilith assured as if she could read into the future "and the only tears allowed here today are those of joy. Once we get home you can cry out whichever emotion you need to let out, but for now, for Emilia, only joy. Understood?"

I slowly nodded; she's right and it's the least I can do for my daughter "Understood."

"Good," she smiled. "Let's have a great day, love." Lilith leaned over me to unbuckle my belt and then she opened the trunk of the car. "Hurry! Bring my bag!" She shouted as she rushed towards the door, carrying the gifts for the children; the sky's been thundering for thirty minutes now, and the clouds look relentless so it could start raining any second now.

I retrieved her burgundy bag from the back seat and rushed to join her at the door, which was swiftly opened by Camilo "Hi," he grinned when he saw Lilith "I didn't know you were coming."

"It's a darling surprise, isn't it?" She said, walking into the place and I quickly followed since I felt a couple of droplets fall on my head. "Gosh, were you planning to keep us at the door until it stared pouring?" Lilith placed down the multiple bags and someone came to help her out of her coat "Thank you, darling," she said to the young woman dressed in all-black.

"You look funny when you're damped; like a cat," Camilo grinned.

"Twat," Lilith rolled her eyes. "Where are my darlings–"

"Tante Lilith!" I heard and my eyes raised to find my daughter running towards Lilith.

"Oh, mon loulou!" Lilith opened her arms and Emilia jumped into them. "I've missed you terribly."

(My darling.)

Behind her came Nicolas who was playing with a beautiful Aussie Shepherd puppy, and after him was Lotus. My heart was beating in my throat; the last time we saw each other she yelled and I was an asshole. I'm nervous; I don't want to fuck this up – she's given me a chance I don't deserve.

"Daddy A!" The sweet voice exclaimed and I immediately looked at Emilia; I hadn't heard her say that in so long. It's been a little over nineteen months. "Hi daddy," she waved with a giggle.