Sleepless

Ace Carlyle

"When was the first time you smoked?" I asked, lighting up her cigarette.

Lilith hummed and replied as she exhaled the smoke "I was 18, I think; I don't do it often, just when I'm stressed. What about you?"

"When I'm bored or stressed," I replied. "Why are you stressed?"

She shook her head with a light smile "It's nothing, just a silly little thing."

"I doubt you get stressed easily," I remarked.

Lilith raised an eyebrow "You're being pushy."

"You asked about my dead wife and daughter," it stings, even if it's a joke, but I can keep my composure and not rush for a drink.

She scoffed "You're being quite insubordinate."

"I've watched you have sex with Valko; I could sue you for sexual harassment in the workplace," I smirked.

Lilith smiled "You're good," she took another hit of her cigarette. "You can only use that threat once again, it will get boring after it."

I lightly chuckled "You're probably right. Will you answer my question now?"

Her smile faded "Well, the other night when I was at dinner with a friend, she said some things that worried me..."

"About?"

"Arabella said she doesn't want me to get hurt," she looked at the pitch-black ocean.

My eyebrow arched "Okay...? Isn't that what good friends do? Worry about you."

Lilith looked back at me and she seemed genuinely concerned "Arabella knows more than she should, more than she lets on...more worries me."

I placed the cigarette between my lips and took a hit "Have you thought about simply asking her?"

"It scares me," she immediately replied. "And now I'll live wondering, with the question always lurking."

"And do you prefer that over peace of mind?" I inquired.

She leaned her forehead on the palms of her hands "I don't know what will bring me more peace: getting hurt and eventually getting over it or trusting my boyfriend, but still living in doubt. Fuck!" She groaned.

"Do you trust Alexandre?" I asked, because that's the only question she needs to answer.

Lilith looked at me through her fingers "I do."

"Then don't run laps around this idea you created in your head — your friend could just be worried; I doubt she would withhold information if it was that important."

The woman removed her hands from her face "I shouldn't have said any of that."

"Why? Because you were vulnerable?"

She nodded "I don't like being vulnerable in front of people I need to take care of."

"You don't need to take care of me," I assured.

"But I do," she told, quite sure of her words.

I raised an eyebrow, very confused "Why? Because Camilo asked you to take care of the drunk?"

She denied with her head "I mean, at first it was because of that, but I care about you now, Ace. You've been working for me for half a year, and you haven't slipped once — you show up to work every day with your best foot forward and you take all the steps needed to stay on this great path," Lilith said, and I couldn't help but smile; it makes me happy someone sees and recognizes my progress.