Chapter 3

I was working on a couple of things with Farah, which gave me zero time to think about anything else, including Graves, until he came in.

"How are things going?" he asked.

"Could be better," replies Farah. Graves then turns to me.

"Actually, things were going great before you came in," I glare at him.

"Oh please, I'm sure you're glad I'm here to help you," he retorts.

"What help? Your cowardly help is never needed, Philip. Get a grip," I interject. Farah chuckles before Alex comes in.

"Come on, guys, an argument without me? No fun," he laughs.

"This isn't an argument, Alex. This is just our favorite commander Graves being a pain in the ass with his over-the-top ego," I say.

"Y/N, I think you should shut the fuck up," Graves speaks up.

"Oh yeah? Or what? Are you gonna threaten me again? If you think I'm scared of you, think again," I look him dead in the eye.

"Look at you, playing tough, huh? Fix that fucking attitude. This is teamwork," he commands.

I burst out laughing. "No, no, Philip, you don't get to fucking talk about teamwork. We already went through this."

"Okay, you know—" Philip starts walking towards me before Farah cuts him off.

"What the hell is this supposed to be? Whatever bullshit has been going on, fix it. We should tolerate each other, or no work will get done. This is disgraceful," she says.

Farah is clearly disappointed.

I leave the room, and Philip follows me out. He catches up to me and grabs my wrist.

"I thought we fucking talked about this," he says, pulling me close to him, our bodies touching.

"Don't fucking touch me," I push him off.

"Doll, we can't be like this," he backs up.

"First of all, don't call me that. Second of all, do you actually expect me to forget what you did?!" I ask.

"THAT WASN'T UP TO ME! I GOT MY ORDERS; YOU GOT YOURS. END OF STORY!" he screams at me. I keep eye contact, waiting for him to look away first, but he doesn't. Instead, he gets closer, lifting my chin to look at him.

"I'm sorry, okay? About everything that happened in Mexico," he says blankly.

I put my hand on his chest. "Philip, I can't forgive you." His face gets closer to mine, and I feel butterflies. What the fuck, Y/N? Get a hold of yourself. I push him away and walk out.

Graves' POV

God, I wanted to kiss her so badly, but she just won't let me in. Sometimes I wish I hadn't done what I did; maybe I would still have a chance. I'm going crazy over her. I seriously need to stop prioritizing her over work.

The Next Day

I got dressed and walked down for the meeting that was supposed to happen—a preview of our task.

After the meeting, I was heading back to my office when I bumped into Farah.

"Hey, can you pass these papers over to Graves' office?" she says, handing me a stack of documents. "Intel on location," she adds.

This always happens to me. God, I sigh to myself.

"Sure," I nod at her. We say our goodbyes and head in opposite directions.

My heeled boots click on the cold floor of the empty hallway as I reach the door. I take a deep breath before knocking.

"Come in," I hear him say.

Fuck, I was hoping he was gone. Of course, he wasn't. I walked in, and as soon as he looked up at me, he got up from his chair and walked over to me.

"Surprised to see you," he smirks.

"Yeah, whatever. I wasn't planning on coming here either. Farah sent paperwork on intel. Everyone got it during the meeting, which you didn't show up to," I roll my eyes, walking over to his desk and placing the stack on it.

"I'm a busy man, Y/N," he says, walking over to me.

I turn around, now leaning on the desk, facing him. "And doing what exactly?" I ask.

He comes even closer, trapping me with his arms on either side of the desk. Bingo, it's time to take advantage of him.

"Many things," he leans in.

"Hm," I hum, fixing his collar.

"Why are you always such a bitch?" he asks.

"Not always. I just don't like you," I roll my eyes.

"You really do have an attitude, don't you?"

I pause before getting closer to his ear. "Fuck it out of me, then," I whisper.

His eyes go wide, and he raises his eyebrows. Before I know it, he roughly grabs me by my neck, pulling me into a kiss.