Chapter 7: Moving in

Stranded in the elevator lobby of the 32nd floor, Rachel impatiently fiddled with her purse straps as she waited for the elevator. Why was it taking so long? she wondered as the elevator remained on the ground floor for an unnatural length of time.

It was Saturday, but instead of going to the mall as they had planned, the three of them were headed to a clinic to get Marisa's bandages changed. Though Marisa had put up a brave face, her right wrist had suffered 3rd-degree burns. It was painful and would take a while to heal but the worst part was that the scars would remain. For that itself, she was ready to drag Hans and Ela through the fires of hell. When her phone began to vibrate, she looked up. Relieved to see the elevator coming up, she quickly answered Monica's call.

"Yes, I am coming down. Wait for me," muttered Rachel. "What?" she raised her brows perplexed. "What do you mean Mars isn't ready yet? She has to go for a check-up. She might need shots. Fine, I'll give her 30 mins to get ready."

Rachel turned back towards her door but then she realized that she could just wait in Monica's place instead. When the elevator doors opened, she came face to face with a stunned Danish. He held a bunch of clothes in his hands whilst a dozen packing boxes littered the elevator.

"Hi," she said. "Are you moving in?"

Danish's mortified face grew red. "Yes, I am shifting into 32F."

It was then she realized that the bundle of clothes in his hands were his briefs. She quickly averted her eyes. "Don't you own a bag?"

"I do. Milan threw out my underwear in the elevator while I was unloading the boxes from my car."

The elevator door began to close. Rachel quickly pressed the elevator button again.

"The lobby here has CCTV cameras, maybe you could use your jacket," she suggested.

When Danish attempted to stuff his briefs in his jacket pocket, Rachel rolled her eyes and cleared her throat. "I mean take off your jacket and wrap those things in it."

Whilst Danish heeded her advice Rachel pushed a box out, effectively preventing the elevator from closing again.

She looked at Danish through the mirrored walls of the elevator. He seemed to cut a sorry figure, clutching his balled-up jacket in one hand and attempting to push the tower of boxes with another.

"Are your friends not going to help?" she asked, gently.

Danish valiantly struggled to empty the elevator single-handedly. "They went back to fetch the rest of my items from the dorm. That jerk Milan took back my trolley bag with him."

Rachel sighed, "Here let me hold that jacket. You quickly unload the boxes from the elevator before someone complains to maintenance."

Danish gulped and turned a deeper shade of red. "You would hold this?"

Rachel held out her hand, looking everywhere but at Danish."What else can I do? These boxes are too heavy for me to push. Here hand me that jacket."

Danish watched her gingerly hold his jacket in one hand. Overwhelmed with embarrassment, he cursed Milan again as he quickly stacked the boxes before his apartment door.

"Give it back," he held out his hand.

Rachel stepped out of reach."Open the door first"

Danish sighed. Pulling out his keycard he unlocked the door. Familiar with the general layout of the apartments in this tower, Rachel walked in before him and returned after a while, her hands empty.

Fixing the door stopper to leave the door ajar, she moved aside.

"Thank you," said Danish as she retreated. "How is Marisa doing?"