Chapter 37: Ordeal

Monica woke up with a start, chilled by the nightmare still fresh in her mind. The feeling of the noose tightening around her neck had been real, her executioner none other than Mr Daniel himself.  Gasping for air, she grabbed the glass of water by her bedside with shivering hands and downed it in one go. Resting back against her plain wooden headboard, she let out a sigh. The digital clock on her bedstand showed it was 5 am. Nightmares and panic attacks had now become a daily feature in her life.

She clearly remembered the day she had spotted Mr Daniel's bodyguard, Liam following her back from university. The ensuing conversation with her father had hardly been comforting.

"Dad, what is going on? Why is Liam following me back from uni?" blurted out Monica breathlessly as she leaned against her apartment door.

Her father let out a deep sigh, his voice hoarse. "Then things are as bad as I imagined."

"Huh!" replied Monica as she locked the door behind her and checked her video doorbell. Indeed, Liam paced in the lift lobby. She backed away to her bedroom and shut the door.

"Mr Daniel refuses to see me. I am being bypassed at work and all-important matters are being routed via Davis. I can only assume that Mr Daniel has probably discovered our secret. He now knows that it was you who ordered the hit on the son of his accomplice. He is probably holding off our punishment till the Student Council election results are declared."

She gasped and collapsed on her bed. "What should we do then?"

"It would be better for us to keep quiet and bear the scrutiny. Let the hellhounds watch us for as long as it takes to convince Mr Daniel of our loyalty. Be careful not to reveal our predicament to anyone, especially Rachel as it will further deteriorate our situation."

"Fine. I shall do as you ask me!" she murmured half-heartedly.

"Another thing, our phones might be tapped so be on your guard. Stay in your apartment, don't come home for now. Bye."

Monica had sat staring at the phone for a long time after.

Monica rose from her bed and tiptoed to the apartment door. Checking the video doorbell, she was relieved to find the lift lobby deserted. Liam had taken to watching her from a distance as if by tacit agreement.

Since she was already awake, mused Monica. She could put in a few hours of study before heading out to university. At least, the nightmares had ensured that she would get decent grades in the upcoming semester examinations.

Much later that morning, freshly showered and dressed in her university clothes Monica stared at her open fridge in dismay. She was out of milk, eggs, jam, and even bread. There was no point in knocking at Marisa's door, the latter never stocked up her fridge. 

Humming a tune to herself, Monica locked her apartment door and headed to the 24/7 convenience store across the road. She dutifully picked up a basket at the entrance and headed over to the breakfast aisle. Rummaging through the pile of ready-to-eat sandwiches, she picked out three and tossed them in her basket. Surely, her friends would be grateful for any breakfast she provided.

Her head began to feel heavy as she stocked up on a few more breakfast essentials. Her heart was already racing as she carted her basket over to the ready-to-eat dinner section. Satisfied with her shopping, Monica glanced at her watch. Rachel would be waiting, she needed to head back.

Monica stopped short. Where was the billing counter? Where was the exit? Her mind had gone blank, she couldn't even remember the way she had come in! No doubt, she was having a panic attack at the moment. If her galloping heart was any indication, it was more severe than the last.