Chapter 21: Aftermath

An urgent presentation had kept Danish in office for far longer than he had anticipated. So, he was rather late in picking up Niam and Milan for the Fresher's party. Though none of his friends complained, Danish still felt guilty for keeping Sarah and her classmates waiting.

Whilst negotiating the late evening rush hour, Danish wasn't surprised to see Patty calling. He casually tossed his phone to Niam seated beside him, "Answer it and put it on speaker."

After failing to find Sarah, Patty reluctantly called Danish instead. "Hello P', are you coming to the party?"

"Yes," replied Danish shortly as he turned into the university gate. "I am at the university."

Patty sighed with relief. "Thank God."

"What happened? You sound tensed?" he asked as he backed into the first empty parking slot he found.

"We can't find Sarah," muttered Patty.

He juggled the phone in his hand while locking the car. "What do you mean? Wasn't she with you?"

Patty stammered through an explanation of the events that had unfolded in their absence.
Milan and Niam's faces turned to stone whilst Danish kicked the car tire of a random car they had been walking past.

"I am coming there," he replied shortly before disconnecting the line.

"Where could she go?" wondered Niam. "Patty said her car is still in the parking".

"They didn't check the faculty building. She could be in the common room," guessed Milan.

Danish nodded his head and made a run for their faculty building, praying to God that Sarah would be there.

....................................................................

Rachel wasn't surprised to find Sarah in the electronics engineering faculty common room, after all this was the only room that had remained unlocked in the entire building. She left the door ajar as she quietly approached a sobbing Sarah, careful not to startle her.

"Sarah," she called softly as she stood a few feet away.

To her surprise, Sarah embraced her and continued to cry bitterly on her bare shoulder. Rachel reluctantly wrapped her arms around Sarah and rubbed her back soothingly. It was a while before the storm of tears subsided to hiccups. At last, Sarah pulled away, sniffing and wiping her face; too ashamed to meet Rachel's eyes.

"Sarah, avoiding looking at me isn't going to make me disappear."

"Sorry," hiccupped Sarah.

"Don't be. Tears are never a sign of weakness. We should allow ourselves to experience our emotions."

"Why does this keep happening? I haven't had a moment of peace since I joined this university. Maybe I should transfer elsewhere."

"As your mentor, I am sorry to hear that," sighed Rachel. Closing her eyes, she pinched the bridge of her nose, willing away the headache she could feel building up.

Sarah shook her head in denial, "No, you've been an excellent mentor".

"You topped the admissions this year. You have every right to be here. Every place has its fair share of nasty people, running away will not make your life easier."

Sarah smiled bitterly, "If I was the only one suffering, I wouldn't even think of leaving. But my family is also suffering with me."

Rachel patted Sarah's head, "I have no idea why Gia and her friends are targeting you, but this matter shall be resolved soon."