Chapter 9: Inadvisable

Throngs of youngsters grooved to the loud music and pulsating lights as still more crammed on the leather couches and knocked back expensive drinks with abandon. It was a regular scene from the most popular nightspot in Bangkok's nightlife. Mr Mew grinned with pleasure as he surveyed his kingdom from his exalted office.

"How many outside dealers did you catch?" he asked, toying with his heavy signet ring.

"Three tonight, Master. They have been dealt with accordingly and their stash has been confiscated," replied the Manager.

Mew took a sip of his whiskey, "The outsiders are becoming quite brave, trying to sell their wares here without getting our approval. Forward the stash to our dealers."

The Manager swallowed audibly, "Master, we shall henceforth become more vigilant".

There was a knock on the door and John, Mew's assistant entered.

John bowed respectfully. "Master, Mr. Daniel is here to see you."

A look of irritation passed on Mew's face before it returned to its usual bland expression.

"Send him in," he ordered as he strode back to his desk and pocketed the pen drive attached to his laptop.

When Augustus Daniel entered, he found Mew casually lounging in his chair, a drink in hand.

"Welcome Mr Daniel," he drawled from his perch. "Have a seat. John, send the usual for Mr Daniel.

"Tell me Mr Daniel, what brings you to my humble office?" he asked as Mr Daniel coldly smiled in response and unbuttoned his coat to sit down. The apparent sarcasm was not lost on him.

"Well, Mr Mew has been too busy to come meet me. So, I have come instead."

Mew merely laughed in response.

"Rather disappointingly I haven't yet received the information I asked for," continued Mr Daniel with a frown.

Mew fingered the pen drive in his pocket, "The person of interest you want to be investigated has been rather interesting to locate till now. It would take longer as he has already gone into hiding".

Mr Daniel cocked his head to the side, "I wonder who tipped off that troublemaker."

Mew shrugged, "Venom has its fair share of enemies".

"I hope you are not withholding information from me. It would be detrimental to our business."

Mew smirked, "As long as our business remains mutually beneficial, you have no reason to doubt me".

John returned with a bottle of neat whisky and a glass. Mew gestured for him to serve them and leave. Once John retreated, Mr Daniel downed a peg before pouring himself another. Mew watched in distaste. After all, it was a ten-thousand-dollar bottle of imported whiskey; it was meant to be savored not chugged down.

"How can I be assured that you are not favoring your old benefactor over me?" questioned Mr. Daniel twirling his glass.

"Jay Zacharia saved my life and pulled me off the streets when I was but a child. Without him, I would not be here today, and nor would Venom. His family remains under my protection."

"Then ask your benefactor to stay out of my business. If he keeps causing me trouble, there are other mafia gangs out there who wouldn't mind taking care of him," retorted Mr Daniel.

Mew began to laugh though his grip on the pen drive had hardened. "We both know Mr. Zacharia doesn't have the balls to mess with you, he can only ever create minor nuisances".

"That is why I still allow him to exist," replied Mr Daniel. "By the way, the tender for the expressway shall be out soon. Are you ready?"

"My men are on it", confirmed Mew idly tracing the rim of his glass.