Chapter 36: Warned

Jay Zacharia diligently studied the folder on his desk, face set in a scowl as he reviewed the dismal sales report of the current quarter. Danish was right, if the sale of their flagship products continued to decline; OPG Technology would soon be out of business.  A knock sounded on the glass door of his lavish office. "Come in," said Jay without looking up.

Mark took in his temperamental boss's stormy expression. Letting out a sigh, he forced a professional smile on his face. "Sir"

Jay put down his file and took off his silver-rimmed reading spectacles. Laying it neatly on the table, he tiredly rubbed his eyes. "What is it, Mark?"

"Sir, Director Nampan and Director Yamnam are here for their appointment. I have seated them in conference room 3. Ms. Supassara Sakakorn and Mr. Kanaphan Wongratch have already been informed."

Perplexed, Jay scratched his head. "Wasn't Director Nampan supposed to come alone? Why is Director Yamnam here when his daughter is getting married next week? Do you have any idea what is going on?"

Embarrassed, Mark looked away. "Sir, it is not in my place to say."

Over a decade ago, Jay had taken in the freshly graduated and rather young Mark and taught him the ropes of business. Aware of every nuisance on the inexpressive face of his secretary, Jay furrowed his eyebrows. Something must be badly amiss to have flustered the sharp and coldly efficient Mark.

Jay rose to his feet and slipped his hands through the coat, Mark held for him. "Ask the Manager of the Sales Division to come and meet me after lunch."

"Yes Sir!"

Jay picked up his phone from his large oak wood desk and walked out. He was rather curious to know what the Directors had to say.

..........................................................................

"It is good to see you, old friend," said Jay warmly as he shook Director Nampan's hand. "Your health has much improved."

A broad smile unfolded on Director Nampan's wrinkled face. "It is always a pleasure, Chairman Zacharia. I have brought Director Yamnam with me too."

Jay shook Director Yamnam's hand although his greeting was far less cordial. He then nodded at his two best friends, the CFO of OPG- Ms. Supassara Sakakorn, and the CTO, Mr Kanaphan Wongratch. Taking his seat at the head of the table, he gestured for Mark to bring over the refreshments.

Director Nampan sighed when Mark placed a cup of green tea and a plate of sugar-free biscuits before him. "You never forget to pamper an old man like me, Chairman. I see much of you in your son, Danish."

Director Yamnam scoffed, "More like the troublesome part."

Supassara exchanged a glance with Kanaphan, this meeting wasn't going to end well for Jay.

Jay Zacharia raised a brow, "What does Director Yamnam mean?"

Director Nampan shook his head and put down the expensive porcelain tea cup. "Chairman Zacharia, we have known each other for over two decades. I have always been steadfast in my support of you. But the direction of the winds has begun to change and not everyone shares my sentiment."

Worried, the CTO  leaned forward in his seat. "It is clear as daylight that Director Yamnam does not share your sense of loyalty."

Director Yamnam shrugged in response. "I am only here because of Director Nampan. Therein lies my sense of loyalty!"

CFO Supassara smiled warmly. "Director Yamnam, our association goes back several years and I have never seen you so piqued. Has Danish done something to upset you? If that is so, please accept my apology on his behalf."