Chapter 3: Vulnerabilities

"He saved me from myself, and saved me from death, I'd give him my heart while giving him myself..."

{HIS POV}(The Next Day At Noon):

I dropped my brother off at his grandma house and returned home. Ma was at work and wouldn't be home until 11pm. I needed a breather before the girl in my bed awoke. Cause if not I would scratch my eyeballs out, through a tube I gave her muscle pain and another healing medication that would be useful to her when she finally woke up. With my brother gone and my mom away I could have a conversation with her uninterrupted when it was time.

I was smoking more than usual which wasn't such a good sign. Better high than sober in this situation. I had to change her bandages every 5 hours because she'd bleed through them. The only reason I could find for that was of course this was her first time being injured in such a way. But she don't look like your average raging teenager. As she slept she looked peaceful and every now and then she would jump or move anxiously in her sleep. She would be a bit traumatized after this. But hopefully all will be well and she will be fine.

I had finished cleaning the whole house and eating lunch when I returned to the room where my patient was residing. It was time to change her bandages again and give her the medicine. But once I approached her and checked her heart beat, it felt like it had sped up. She was breathing heavier. Is she awake? I took a step back and watched her, she slowly began to open her eyes for what looked to be the first time.

Before she could panic I came back into her eyesight and smiled. Crouching by the bed letting her fully wake up and analyze the room. But once she did she started to shake with fear. I guess it was because this was a new room she had never seen and the only thing that was familiar was me. I held her hand and she gasped for air, I put another pillow behind her head and propped her up so that she could fully see her surroundings. She calmed down quicker than I thought she would and for the first time I heard her speak.

"Where am I? What happened to me?"

She was still breathing uneasily

"You're somewhere safe. You were shot twice. Do you remember what happened last night?"

She shook her head yes and then paused before answering verbally

"Lopez."

I stopped moving and breathing for second and then I let go of her hand

"How do you know that name?"

She stared at me and it felt like she was looking into my soul

"The men who tried to kill me made mention of a man named Lopez. It was because of him, that I was chased and hunted down like a fucking dog. They want me dead because of him."

I had no words to say and I definitely had no energy to fight this

"What did he do? What did Lopez do for them to say that?"

We stared at each other trying to read the other with all our might

"They wanted to eliminate me because he has an interest in me. They watched him at the restaurant, they watched him watch me. They tracked me down so they could kill me, take advantage of me, and send my corpse to him. I don't understand why though. I'm innocent."

I rubbed my hand through my hair and sighed, she is my weakness

"They know you are. But Lopez is a target many people want gone. Sadly for them he cannot be killed, so they target those around him. Now can I fix up your bandages before you get an infection or worse? And you also need to take these pills."