1:9:33

I awoke startled at the sound of nearby sirens. It appears that everyone else in the car is awake, likely too stressed out to sleep. The radio is on and a broadcaster updates on the current situation.

"And still, no arrest in the shooting death of Sheriff Susan Peterkin. The state police have issued a statement regarding a local person of interest, a juvenile from—," before the man can say John B's name, Kiara turns the radio off. JJ looks over and notices me.

"Oh, hey. We thought you'd sleep forever," he says lightheartedly. I rub the sleep from my eyes and lift my seat back up from its reclined position.

"I didn't actually get much undisturbed sleep until about two hours ago, so..." I trail off.

"Well, let's game this out. Maybe you guys can help, being the smart ones and all, but... who are the cops going to believe," JJ says from beside me in the backseat. Unsurprisingly he lit a joint this early in the morning. "Ward Cameron or us? So the accuser is a big shot developer, kind of lord of the island, got the governor on speed dial kind of person, and the accused... is John B, who is pretty much a homeless 16-year old boy at the moment."

"Thanks," John B replies sarcastically. When he puts it that way our odds are beyond scary.

"Shit," Pope curses rubbing his forehead as if he is trying to coax the ideas out of his head.

"Okay, man. Yucatan, all right? I'm saying that's the only option. What other option do you have?" JJ points out. Kiara and Pope look back at him in annoyance. I have a similar expression.

"Enough with the Mexico bullshit, alright? Sarah's gonna bail me out," he assures us.

"She did witness the whole thing," Kiara adds.

"Thank you," John B replies shortly.

"And she's gonna snitch on her brother?" Pope asks seriously.

JJ sits up in his seat. "Not happening, bro. Okay? We've gotta get you off the island."

"I really want to agree with you John B, but in these kinds of situations I'm not sure if Sarah is really reliable. I just wouldn't put our eggs all in one basket is all," I tell him.

"The ferry," Pope announces. "It's the only way."

"Yeah. Exit stage left while you still can, man, okay? Before the entire island is on lockdown," JJ says. Just hearing the sound of the sirens approaching stresses me out.

"Guys, just get down," Kiara commands. We all slink down into our seats and wait in silence as the cop car drives by. I notice myself subconsciously holding my breath.

"Sarah's not a Pogue, John B." I shrink back at Pope's comment, slightly offended. After all we've been through and they still don't consider us apart of their posse. Will they ever accept us or will we always be outsiders?

"You just can't stay here, man," JJ says.

"So, what's the plan?" Kiara asks.

"Let's try the ferry," John B sighs. "If we have any luck I can just slip away unnoticed."

Kiara makes certain that the coast is clear before driving out of our hiding spot. She drives us into town, to the ferry port, and parks on the side of the road. Pope volunteers to check the notice board and he walks back with a flyer. Kie rolls down her window as he approaches.

"Okay. All right, no," Pope says to himself as he suspiciously creeps around the car to the driver's side.

"Pope, can you act normal?" Kiara asks him. The port is far too busy for our liking and the way Pope is acting could draw unnecessary attention.