2:7:66

Stella's bonfire fit^^——

——

The Bonfire is an Outer Banks tradition. It's the same weekend every single year and everyone attends it. And by everyone, I mean everyone. Pogues and Kooks alike drink and party together at a sand pit just up a ways from the Boneyard.

Sarah had told me to look my best, so that's exactly what I am going to do. For hours in my bedroom, I curl my dark blonde hair and apply makeup that accentuates my facial features. Sarah forces a skimpy top that is practically a bra over my head and matches it with a pair of jean shorts that fit like a glove. Even though Sarah didn't want me to, I felt a tad exposed, so I added a pastel striped flannel overtop.

As I am adding my finishing touches, my eyes settle on the necklace from the pawn shop. I reach up and touch it, debating whether to take it off, but I decide against it. My goal isn't to make JJ jealous tonight, but instead to draw his attention. I don't remember anything from last night, so I am a tad worried about what could have possibly been said, but I push aside my doubts and wait out in the living room for Sarah.

She comes down the spiral staircase wearing a baby blue tank, blue and white striped jean shorts, and a jacket in her arms. "Okay, perfect, you're ready. Let's go."

"Wait, how are we going to get there?" I ask her curiously, stopping her before she heads out the door.

"Oh, it must've slipped my mind. Topper offered to drive us." My stomach does somersaults.

"I'm sorry, what? Sarah I am not getting in a car with him." I cross my arms and plant my feet in one spot, refusing to move.

"Come on! Don't be so stubborn." She walks up to me and grasps my arm tightly, trying to drag me with her, but I counteract all my body weight, so she doesn't get very far. "Stella, what the hell is your problem?"

"You just don't get it do you? I'm sure you purposefully didn't tell me we were going with him because you knew I would be against it. None of this 'it must've slipped my mind' bullshit." Sarah sighs.

"You know, he's actually been there for me when no one else has. Not John B, hell not even you, Topper. I mean, are you even the least bit upset about witnessing our father's death?" she shoots back.

"Actually, no! I'm not upset that a man who treated me like shit my entire life for something completely out of my control selfishly took his own life because he couldn't own up to the consequences of his actions. He was a coward in life and he died one too." I can't help the scrutinizing tone that seeps into my raised voice. Sarah stares back at me with not response.

"I'm going to the bonfire, Stella. With or without you. So do whatever the hell you want." She storms towards the door. 

"Oh I'm going too. Just not with you and your shitty, manipulative, toxic ex boyfriend." She slams the door behind her and I wait, adrenaline-filled, for Topper's Jeep to disappear out of sight before reuniting with my skateboard and following the boardwalk down to the pit.