Chapter Fourteen: Familiar Faces and Unfamiliar Places.

Astarion and Citrine reunited with the others downstairs to find a familiar face Elminster, cozy as can be making himself comfortable at Gale's, wine in one hand and the other twirling away as he spoke. Shadowheart looked to see if Citrine was okay, a look of puzzlement and realization spread across her face.

"Ah, there is our vampire friend in question." Elminster got up from the lounge chair to greet the two, "So the Ring of the Sun-Walker? As I was telling Gale and Shadowheart here the last I heard it was in possession by an Archfey who likes to spend his time in the Neverwinter Woods when he isn't in the feywild. Hopefully, there will be no need in having to go there, luckily for us, I know someone who is willing to teleport the lot of you to the edge of the woods. Gale more wine if you would."

"So it does exist?" Citrine perked even more up, her hopes rang high.

"Very much so, but the problem lies with which Archfey holds it Hyrsam, Prince of Fools." He paused. "Do not let that title trick you, he is quicker than the devil and plays only when cards are in his favor. He is savage and does not like outsiders in the Feywilds, he has been restoring it back to its purest form. He may not take it kindly you seeking an audience with him. Especially since even elves are unpure to him." Gale rounded the corner back with another bottle. "Thank you, Gale."

He sat back down on the couch next to Shadowheart. "So, who is this kind friend of yours that is willing to teleport us?"

"Why me, Mystra will not be pleased, she still awaits the crown but I have faith that once your merry band is back together you will finish what has been started." Elminster smile faded slightly.

"Ah, yes the crown. Well, it would be helpful having us all together and as right as rain."

Shadowheart stirred uncomfortably, "How will we get back?"

"I'll be waiting of course, at the edge of the forest. I'll find a way to pass the time, I'm sure these two would enjoy waiting with me." Elminster gestored to Robin and Scratch. "When nightfall comes, I will return to teleport you all." He gave a small tip of his hat and headed to the door. "Gale, I can only temper Mystra for so long."

There was an awkward silence in the room after Elminster's departure. Citrine slowly moved to sit in front of Shadowheart a brush and her bobbles in hand. Shadowheart reluctantly fixed Citrine's mane. Astarion, sat where Elminster once did.

"So, I take the lover's quarrel is over?" Gale piped up. Shadowheart was not gentle with Citrine's long locks and Citrine let out several winces.

Citrine looked to Astarion to answer, this is his decision, he was the one who wanted to end things, it must be him to decide if they would continue back on their path. Her eyes met his awaiting his answer.

An audible gulp from Astarion and a clearing of his throat, "One could say that, though who really knows what the fates have in store, as of now things are nice. I would like to apologize to the two of you as much as that pains me to do so. Gale, I deserved the -erm- setting straight you so nicely gave me. Shadowheart you were right about a lot of things and I have demons of my own to work on. I'm sorry to you both."

"Normally, I do not like violence."

"Violence?" Citrine looked puzzled.

"Oh? Did Gale not boast, when he gave me directions to here he so kindly beforehand decided his fist wanted to personally meet my jaw." Citrine's eyes widened, as she tried to stifle a chuckle. "Yes, as funny as that is my apology remains the same. I'm sorry, to all three of you."

Shadowheart's hands became softer, less tugging. "Astarion, if we are to work together we have to find a way to manage anger. That was something you did back there. I'm not even sure I fully approve of whatever it is you two have done."

"So no apology back for the yelling then?"

"No." Astarion laughed at Shadowheart's curtness.

"Well, then after this is settled, we should look into that necromancer for Karlach. Still where to find a beating heart given so freely that Karlach wouldn't oppose to."

"I don't think she'd ever agree to that. Maybe there is a different way?" Gale's eyebrows furrowed. "I'm not saying my idea doesn't have merit but perhaps we keep looking before resorting to murder."

"Is it truly murder if someone volunteers?" feather between Shadowheart's teeth. Astarion walked over to help her with Citrine's hair, a look of memorization as he watched her braid. Getting to his knees, he slowly started working on a braid of his own. Gale was the first to leave, dismissing himself for a nap. Shadowheart next as she finished her last braid.

Citrine and Astarion moved to the couch together, having already drifted off once. Astarion laid with his back on the armrest with Citrine laid back onto him, he stroked her arm. As they lay in silence. Citrine snuggled into him, her heart had joy in it. Hope, if they found the ring he need not fear the sun.

"I truly am sorry for hurting you," Astarion whispered, as he kissed the top of Citrine's head. She had grown comfort in his repeating act of affection. "I still need to leave after we save Karlach." His voice was not filled with the same certainty that it had before, Citrine tried to find the words to fight him but none came.

"If that is what you want." She burrowed herself deeper into him, Astarion held her tighter. They lay in silence waiting for the arrival of Elminster, savoring the time they did have.