Chapter Thirty: Something.

The circus had beaten them to Daggerford and the smiling faces of children and adults greeted them. Joy was in the air, Daggerford was a small farming town, to many in Faerun it was overlooked but its people were a proud group and with the circus in town, smiles were contagious.

They booked a room at the Daggerford Inn, leaving their horses in the stables out back. They planned to eat and go to the circus after. "Karlach would of been excited to get to see the show again." Shadowheart pushed her food around.

The group ate in silence missing their friends. After their uneaten meals, they made their way to the circus, Benji was at the front to great customers. She smiled at him as he sniffed the air a wave of recognition swept his face. "Killers back again."

"Benji we killed something pretending to be Dribbles we did not kill Dribbles." Gale huffed. Klaus greeted them with a smile letting them through. The circus had grown since it left Baldur's Gate, there were more performers, and more activities Citrine noticed Akabi was not among the circus.

"I want to look around before we get to business!" Citrine took off to look at each stall, Shadowheart shrugged to Gale and Astarion took after her. The two go on their own to find a drink. Citrine's eyes were filled with wonder.

A fire dancer caught her eye, his movements were beautiful it was as if the flame knew what move he was going to make next, the sword swallower next to him performed in perfect unison. A familiar voice called for the two.

"If it isn't the best detectives around!" Lucretious' voice called to them. Citrine turned smiling at the woman. She had been doing well, the circus was booming. Lucretious walked gracefully to the two each step filled with pride. She hugged Shadowheart, looking her over, she moved to hug Citrine who hugged her back.

"More of you I see."

"Actually less, that's one of the reasons why we are here, we need your help now," Shadowheart interjected.

"I'm talking about this one." She said hands on Citrine's shoulders. "You think you can hide something like that from me." Her left hand touched Citrine's stomach. "Somethings." Lucretious smile was large. Citrine looked up at her puzzled, words seemed to be caught in Shadowheart's throat. "Did you really not know." Lucretious laughed. "Well, congratulations are in order."

"I'm not, it is impossible. I can't be." Citrine grabbed the hand on her open stomach. "I've only ever slept with Astarion and well the, and he can't, I don't think. I don't think either could. Could they?"

"Nature finds a way. Now what is it that you all actually came for? I've got to get things moving you will have to stay to see the new and improved Dribbles."

Shadowheart stood blankly staring at Citrine, her mouth hung open. Citrine shook her head, still trying to process what she had just told.

"Well, while you two figure out what to say I have a circus to run, Meet me after we close and we can talk." Lucretious winked at Citrine striding off. Citrine turned to Shadowheart whose jaw was still agape.

"Shadowheart." Citrine said slowly.

Shadowheart put her hands on Citrine's stomach. "You blamed me, it is you. You're the reason you've been having those dreams. But, how I don't understand, Astarion can't."

Citrine stood straight up. "Not a word to him. Do you understand? Not a single word, not to him not to Gale not to any of the animals this stays with us here and now." Citrine's words were sharp.

"Because it's not his?" Citrine pushed Shadowheart's hands off of her.

"NO! I've never slept with anyone other than Astarion and the succubus but I don't think that counts, he was my first- that isn't the point because, he wants to leave. I'm not taking that away from him. I'm not going to anchor him into staying. Plus we don't even know if this is true." Citrine backed away from Shadowheart. "And stop staring at my stomach. Pull yourself together." She hissed.