Chapter 2 Watery Grave

I feel strange, almost weightless. I open my eyes and realize I'm underwater, floating in a watery abyss. I'm about to panic before I know that I am breathing fine. This must be a dream, I thought to myself. I look around to see where I am, but I see nothing, not a single living thing swimming around. Being alone made my panic rise again, and then I heard it. It was like a thousand loud whispers coming from the pitch-black bottom of the abyss beneath me. Listening closely, I realize it sounds like a thousand whispering voices are screaming at me. I look up, away from the darkness below, and see a shining, welcoming light. I start to swim towards the light and notice that the shadows of the deep abyss below me have begun reaching towards me. I started to swim faster, kicking my legs desperately, and the whispers got louder and louder, becoming full-blown screams of agony. I keep moving as quickly as I can. I'm almost at the top where the bright light is coming from, where I know I would be safe, when one of the shadows grabs my leg. I try to shake it off, but it grips so tightly that I know it is not going anywhere. I look back up and see a hand reaching toward me from the light. I try my best to grab it with my last bit of energy. With one final burst, I propel myself upward as far as possible and hold the hand that closes tightly around my own. Then, a bright light blinds my eyesight.