Chapter 26 The Wild, Wild Sands

Waking up the next day, I noticed Gabriel was already gone. I was kind of bummed, but I figured he had some Custos work he had to do. I wondered if he would tell me what rank he was. Probably not. Gabriel danced around the answers to my questions about me so much, why would a question about him be any different?

"Well, time to get dressed," I said out loud to myself.

After my morning bathroom routine was complete, I looked in my backpack for some clothes and was surprised to see another set of new clothes. Either someone had gotten them for me, or this was a magical backpack. A little bit of both. Today, I pulled out black biker shorts and a black and white tube top. There was also a thing, light, black and white jacket with patches on it. To complete the outfit there were black and white shoes.

It is not wintertime wherever we are going. After I got dressed, Salem came through the door.

"We are...." he trailed off, not finishing his sentence.

"You, okay?" I asked.

He jumped. "Um, y-yes, sorry," he said, turning purposefully towards the door. "We've reached our destination. Grab your stuff and come on."

He walked out the door muttering something I couldn't quite hear to himself. I quickly grabbed everything that was mine and followed behind him. I sped up a little, so I was walking right beside him.

"You look good by the way," he said, very clearly avoiding my eyes.

"And you're still oddly shy and weird," I replied jokingly, nudging him with my shoulder.

"I'm just being nice. I'm not weird," he said defensively, although still not looking at me.

"If you say so, shy guy," I replied with a laugh.

The place at the ship had docked seemed like something out of a crazy dream. It was beautiful but confusing. The place was a mixture of ancient Egypt and the Wild West. Some buildings were made from brick and some of wood. There were tall pillars with what looked like hieroglyphics on them aligned on the roads. The pillars were tall enough to provide shade, which I was grateful for since the sun was beating down. The orange sand covered some of the brick roads. There were stalls scattered throughout the street with vendors shouting trying to sell their items. There were even some stalls in the shape of a pyramid. The place was busy with all types of people. Some looked like regular human beings and others had animal heads atop a human body. There were even some that appeared to be animals walking around like humans would. Everyone, no matter their race, was dressed like they had stepped either out of the Wild West, ancient Egyptian, or a strange combination of both.

"Am I dreaming?" I asked out loud.

"Girl, I was thinking the same thing," Kara replied, looking around at the oddness surrounding us.

"I am way to sober for this shit," Trina grumbled, sounding tired.

We stuck out like sore thumbs in our regular clothes. Kara was wearing a black, strapless sundress with a black sun hat. Trina was wearing blue jean shorts with a silver chain belt lazy and a black crop top. She had a light jacket like mine. Trina also had on a baseball cap, but it was on backwards defeating the purpose of blocking out the sun.

"We look so basic compared to everyone else here," I said looking down at my outfit.

"Terry is getting me new clothes! I want to look like an Egyptian goddess," Kara said.

"I want to look like a cowgirl," I mumbled sadly under my breath.

"You guys are weird; our clothes are fine," Trina said with a yawn.