Chapter 33 Earth and Fire

In a deep crater not far from where Salem had fought the succubus, was her lair where she brought her victims. Amara was tied to a wooden stake that was stuck deep into the ground. The stars and moonlight shone down on her, as did the torches aligning the circular wall. A big black cauldron sat in front of her. There was no telling what was boiling in it, but it was certain that she was meant to be a part of the mixture in the pot.

"I don't think boiling you alive is good enough for me," the succubus said conversationally. "Your blood is way too good for that." She looked thoughtfully at the cauldron. "Maybe I'll keep you around to produce more and more blood for me," she mused.

The succubus grabbed Amara's chin, forcing her to look up. Amara was still feeling the effects of the succubus's poison and was in a delirious state.

"You are lucky I forgot how to spit," Amara slurred.

"Hmmm," the hellion woman intoned, letting go of Amara's chin. "You are one of the most unique mortals I have caught in a long time," she spoke. "My poison didn't affect you like it should have and I can't help but wonder why." She sounded curious. "But we have forever to figure that out together, now, don't we?" the succubus said, putting her arms around Amara.

A glimpse of fire shot by Amara, hitting the Hellion dead in her face. The succubus released Amara from her arms and let out a loud scream. The flames didn't move in the way that normal flames would have, and they seemed to burn brighter and hotter on the woman's face. In her panic, the Hellion dipped her face into the boiling contents of the cauldron in an attempt to put out the flames. After a moment, Ingram landed on top of Amara's head, his wings spread wide and crowing loudly.

"Ingram?" Amara said, sure she was seeing things.

"I finally made it," Salem said from where he was hovering in the sky not far away.

He looked different; something about his demeanor was off. His eyes glowed a bright red as he looked down into the crater. His focus was on the Hellion, her head still in the cauldron. Amara could feel his anger radiating from him; even the succubus's scorpion minions scuttled away to avoid his gaze.

"You!" the succubus screamed taking her head out the cauldron. "You're supposed to be dead!" she yelled in a frenzy. Her face looked to be melting slightly. Salem said nothing in reply to her, but if looks could kill, his would have destroyed her in an instant.

"It doesn't matter! I'll do it now!" she growled. "Even with the little bit of blood I took from your mortal, I feel invincible!" she yelled at him. "Scorpionem! Kill!"

The Hellion scorpions grew wings again and took off towards Salem. Salem used his remaining arm and swatted them away with his flames. Amara chuckled at the sight.

"The wrath of an angry angel is upon you!" Amara laughed.

"Shut it! I'll do it myself," the Succubus said, sprouting a grotesque pair of wings on her back.

"Ewwww," Amara said, trying not to vomit.

Salem continued to burn scorpion after scorpion, looking for all the world like he was swatting away flies on a summer's day, and easily fended off the succubus's attacks when she launched herself at him.

"Hey, Ingram, you think you can burn these ropes?" Amara asked.

The bird crowed and burned the ropes with a touch of his feathers.

Amara fell to the ground when the ropes were removed. Still feeling delirious, she found that she couldn't stand up straight. She looked up to Salem and saw flames dance as he swung his sword.

"Salem, did you know fire and sand make glass? Like in that one game?" she yelled her question at him, her words still slurring together. Salem seemed not to hear her. "Ingram, you think he heard me?" Amara asked the bird now perched on her head. "Maybe he's going deaf?" she said, scared.