Chapter 5 Guarded Answers

Amara: "So where exactly am I?" I ask hesitantly.

"Well, you're in a cabin in a snowy forest," the man said nonchalantly as he made himself more comfortable at the edge of the bed.

"I know that, but..." I was cut off by his words.

"Why don't you ask the more important question, like what's my name?"

I was taken aback and a bit annoyed with him cutting me off. "I'm sorry; I didn't mean to be rude. What is your name?" I ask nicely.

He smirked. "My name is Gabriel, Amara," he said in his soothing voice.

"What does that mean?"

"What?" he asked. "Amara?" He smiled and looked down at his hands. "It's just a little nickname for you."

I was confused; had I told him my name? I thought momentarily, but then it dawned on me: I don't remember anything. Not even my own name. I started to panic. Gabriel got up quickly and rushed to me. He held me in his arms to try to calm me down, but it was useless; I started to cry. "I don't remember anything. Not even my own name," I said in disbelief.

"Don't worry," Gabriel said in a whisper. "I'm going to help and protect you."

His voice was so calm and soothing, and his arms held me tight as if he would never let me go. After a few minutes, I calmed down, and his grip loosened.

"Are you ok now?"

"Yeah," I said quietly. "It's just so scary not knowing who or where I am."

"Well, you got me now, so don't worry about the other stuff," he said in his cocky tone.

"Is that supposed to make me feel better?" I asked sarcastically.

He laughed, letting me get up off the bed. "That sarcastic remark just means it worked."

I rolled my eyes with a smile on my face. "I guess you could be right."

Gabriel smiled and began taking off his coat and boots. "So, do you mind me calling you Amara until you remember your real name?" he asked, sitting on one of the chairs.

"I don't mind. It's better than no name."

He looked over at me with his golden eyes. It looked like they were almost glowing. "I was going to call you Amara either way."

"Why even ask then!?" I ask, throwing one of the pillows at him playfully.

He caught it right before it hit his face. "Because it was the polite thing to do," he said with a chuckle.

Out of nowhere, a wave of sleepiness hit me. I yawned loudly.

"You sleepy?" Gabriel asks. I nodded in response. "It must be the medicine I put in your food kicking in."

"A chef and a doctor? I'm impressed," I said as I began making myself comfortable in bed.

"Yeah, I am the jack of all trades. An ace in almost everything I do," he said, sounding cocky again.

"Mmm hmm," I said, almost nodding off.

"You should be all well by tomorrow morning," he said excitedly. "It took me a while to find the right meds to help with the swelling of your knee, but I think I got it right. I just had to use my healing touch," he said proudly.

"Well, I hope it wasn't inappropriate touching, sir," I said jokingly.

"I am not that type of guy, little one," he chuckled. "You should get some rest. We are heading into town tomorrow morning. Gotta catch the next ship out of this area."

"Ship?" I asked as I was slowly closing my eyes.

"Yeah, we have a long journey ahead of us," he said in a low tone.

But before I could hear anything more, I fell into a peaceful, relaxing sleep.