Chapter 19 Blame It on Me

Salem POV:

"For the last damn time, I am not arm wrestling you!" I yelled at Terry. He was being incredibly irritating since that jerk had left with Amara.

"Come on, man, it'll take your mind off Gabriel stealing your girl again," Terry said with a grin.

"I don't even know why I'm around you!" I said in frustration.

"Because Amara gets along with Kara so well, and we don't want to split up their beautiful friendship," Terry stated matter-of-factly.

"Terry, can you please shut up for once?" Kara sighed, pinching the bridge of her nose.

"I'm just trying to lighten the mood," Terry said with a wink. Kara quickly kicked him under the table.

"Ouch," Terry said, rubbing his leg.

"If you wanted to distract him, you could have just told him to look at Trina dancing on the bar," Sonya said laying back in her chair smoking a long black pipe.

We all looked over to see Trina dancing wildly on top of the bar.

"I am so glad this place is empty," I grumbled.

"Oh, hell yeah, Trina!" Terry hollered, getting up from his chair. He ran over to dance with Trina to music that was not that good.

"Why couldn't I have a normal Custos?" Kara asked with both her hands covering her face.

"It could be worse," Sonya said, blowing out smoke.

I knew the smell of that smoke very well; she was smoking indica, something to ease the mind and body. I was not surprised; Terra custos are known for their smoking habits. Before I could ask her anything about it, Gabriel entered the bar, eyes red.

"Where is Amara?" I asked in a concerned voice.

"She's in room seven. She got in a little trouble with a Gaap Imp. The Imp tricked her into thinking it was a little boy who was drowning," he told me. I quickly stood up from the chair.

"Is she okay?" I asked in a panic.

"Yes, she is fine, but you should go check in on her. I have to go and check on the other groups."

"Damn, that girl always gets caught up in shit," I said in frustration. I was about to walk away when I heard Terry's mortal call my name.

"Salem, wait!" she called out.

"What?" I asked angrily.

"Look, I know you're mad, but hear me out. Amara has been through a lot and, honestly, she's barely holding it together." Kara looked me directly in the eye, sincerity written all over her face. "We talked before you guys came in and, mentally, she's not doing good. So just, please, t be gentle with her."

I knew she was right. Amara had almost died three times at the hands of Hellions. It was like she attracted them more than any other normal mortal. "Okay." I nodded. "I'll be nice."

Then I walked off towards the double door entrance of the bar. While walking down the hallway, I passed a guy with long, silver hair wearing all black. Next to him was a boy with light blue hair and wearing normal, mortal clothes. I guess we weren't the only ones on the ship.

After knocking lightly, I opened the door to room seven to find Amara sitting on top of the dresser looking out the window. She was in nothing but a towel, her hair was still wet and puffed out in an afro. The moon shone brightly on her as she looked out the window. She did not notice me until I closed the door behind me.

"Oh, Salem," she said, wiping her face, "Hey." Her hair covered her eyes, but I could still tell she had been crying. I walked up to her and grabbed her chin gently, moving her face so our eyes met.

"Are you okay?" I asked. Her eyes were barely visible beneath her hair, and all the anger that was in me disappeared at the sight of her sadness.

"No," she said in a choked whisper. Before I knew what had happened, she grabbed me and was crying into my chest. I was hesitant to hug her back, but she cried harder, and I knew she needed comforting. I held her in my arms and let her cry as much as she needed. This was my first real assignment as a Custos, and I felt like I was failing miserably. If it weren't for Gabriel, I wouldn't be holding this beautiful creature. The beautiful creature that was breaking because of me.