Chapter 30 I Summon You

It was a bright, hot morning in Eremus. The orange sands glowed brightly under the beaming sun. Beyond the city was nothing more than a sandy wasteland, not even a tumbleweed blew by. On the outskirts of town stood many Custos and their mortal charges ready to set out on their journey through the Siccum Desert. To ease their journey across the sands, the Custos summoned different beasts on which to travel. some of these beasts were able to fly, while others were suited for land. Strictly speaking, it would only take half a day to make it to the next city, but it was what waited in the sands that often made the journey longer.

"Oh my gosh, so many beautiful creatures," Amara said looking around.

"Is that a fire unicorn!?" Trina screamed, looking at the Custos helping a mortal get onto the fiery mount.

"I didn't you think of all people would be into unicorns?" Terry said, surprised.

"They are rare and mythical creatures, like me," Trina said proudly at Terry.

"Hmm, you are a creature, that's for sure," Terry replied with a smile. Trina quickly gut punched him.

"It...was...a compliment," Terry wheezed, an arm around his stomach.

"Idiot," Kara said as she looked at him.

"I'm really curious about what beast we'll be using," Omar said, putting his hand on his chin.

"Well let's just kill that curiosity," Umbra said approaching the group. He snapped his fingers and waited.

A gust of wind blew, and the sound of a loud bird call crackled through the silence. Out of the sky came a jet-black creature with a horse's body and the head and wings of an eagle; its two front legs ending in the talons of an eagle.

"What the hell is that?" Kara asked, hiding behind Terry.

"It's a hippogriff!" screamed Amara and Trina. They both ran towards it and began to pet it. Terry whistled.

"Now that's fancy riding. And here I thought Sonya was going to have the best summon," Terry said looking towards Sonya who rolled her eyes.

"Why are you two so excited? It's just a normal animal. They're everywhere," Veva said walking up to Trina and Amara.

"Excuse me?" Amara said, staring at Veva in surprise. "I have never in my life seen such a creature!"

"Yeah, these things don't exist where we are from," Trina told Veva.

"Really? That's weird," Omar said, jumping on top of the beast as though he were a practiced rider.

"What's his name, Umbra?" Omar asks.

"I call him Lightning," Umbra replied, patting Lightning.

"Natare what can you do besides annoy me?" Veva asked with her arms folded.

"Just watch and see, darling," Natare said with a smirk. She stomped her right foot on the ground three times, and it began to shake. The ground before her burst open, sand and water bursting through the air. Out of the dust came a beast with the forebody and head of a horse, and the tail of a fish with blue rainbow scales and a bright pink mane that matched Natare's hair.

"Oh, that's a seahorse!" Kara said, still using Terry as a shield.

"Actually, this is a kelpie. Another mythical creature that I didn't think actually existed," Amara said, admiring the beast.

"Her name is Rain, and she is magnificent," Natare said with arms up.

"She's alright," Veva said, sounding unimpressed, walking over to Rain. Rain instantly licked Veva's face causing Veva to panic.