The Way of the Warrior

Variel had been trained - like anyone else - to keep public displays of affection to a minimum and often formal level, but that most certainly didn't apply here. As the night went on, some couples or groups looked as if they wouldn't even bother leaving the feast hall before things got obscene. Therefore, Variel didn't feel so bold for leaning into Tanier's embrace and laying his head on the king's shoulder, finding comfort and security in his presence, like a barrier between him and everything that was going on.

Many people started exiting through that backdoor, some to return a while later. Some disappeared multiple times, and no one was really paying much mind to who was leaving with whom. He was sure there would be some gossip, but he didn't really notice anyone actively snooping. He did - however - notice more women than he bothered to count coming up to flirt with Tanier, most of them having waited until they had enough liquid courage in them to approach a king.

And, of course, Variel was also constantly aware of the man staring at him. The man had departed briefly with a boy about Variel's age, and while Variel had not seen his return, he'd felt the eyes on his back after a brief reprieve. He hugged Tanier a little tighter each time it became too much.

As it grew later in the night, people began vanishing through other doors, not to return. No one left alone, at least not that he noticed during the times he would glance about. The hall was still quite busy, however, and it seemed this event would last for several more hours.

Tanier quite enjoyed watching and flirting in equal parts. Especially the last one was something he did not enough, usually. Most of his relationships were highly formal and did not encourage the playfulness of flirting. It was also a quite pleasurable way to get to know people - and to have a starting point for any further contact with them. The way he understood things so far, it would not be too awkward to reference their little flirt at another meeting. Not in Arpricia. After a while he had practiced several polite ways to communicate that he was interested, but not willing to part with Variel right now. In some cases this was followed by invitations for the young man to join and a few very charming attempts to convince him to try. All kind of arrangements were offered, including recruiting the assistance of male friends and relatives and some of them made Tanier wonder, if it would not be fun to do, even if he had to push Variel into it. But whenever he checked on the young man he felt like he needed shelter and protection, not being pushed. The whole event was obviously already stretching the shy boy to his limits, so there was no room for experiments. And leaving him alone while Vis was not able to look after him was completely out of the question and the women flirting with him usually took it quite well when he communicated his wishes.

At some point he started to wonder, if they should wait for Vis to come back or go home without him. He was pretty much sure that the man needed neither guidance nor protection, but he noticed his mistake on not coming to a clear agreement with him about this beforehand.

The general consensus amongst those who tried to convince Tanier was that Variel was adorable, even if some didn't try to have him brought along. Perhaps they noticed how he wasn't wearing a band and was too shy. Some simply assumed that Tanier was possessive and Variel's feelings didn't actually influence his decision, so they didn't even try speaking directly to Variel. Apparently, shyness was not so common here, or at least in this context, so it made Variel something of a spectacle himself, even though he was quiet and trying to go unnoticed.

The more people that came to flirt with or solicit Tanier, the more guilty Variel felt. He knew that - at first - Tanier probably had needed some time to rest, but as hours passed, he became more certain that he was holding the older man back from enjoying this event to its fullest. He was afraid to be alone, but he also hated being such a burden.