Chapter two

When Jayden, my best friend and teammate, suggested we go out tonight to meet up with his current hook-up, I had a string of protests ready

 When Jayden, my best friend and teammate, suggested we go out tonight to meet up with his current hook-up, I had a string of protests ready. Ranging from 'We have practice in the morning' to 'I trust Sophie Brooks about as far as I can throw her' - which, admittedly, is farther than most, but still.

I've only met her once when we unknowingly grabbed a drink at the hotel where she works, and I watched as Jayden turned into a simpering mess despite the fact that she has 'unavailable' written all over her.

Jayden's just been named the captain of our medley team, and if we have any hope of being fit to compete at nationals next year, he needs to get his head out of his ass and double down in the pool. Coming in fourth at the Olympics messed with his confidence, and I doubt heading out for drinks on a Sunday evening with our underage teammate in tow is a good idea.

So yeah, I wasn't much for it, only tagging along to ensure that everyone gets their asses back in bed by a reasonable hour, but once I laid eyes on the blonde beauty by Sophie's side, all those protests went out the window.

I've been sitting here staring at her for half an hour, and I still haven't gotten close to my fill. She's gorgeous.

Big, baby blue eyes peeking out behind black-rimmed glasses. Rosy lips ending in a perfect cupid's bow and an upturned nose wrinkling when she smiles - the picture of aristocratic beauty.

That's not to mention how the blue pantsuit clings to her petite body.

I have a paper on civil procedures I need to finish before Tuesday, two practices and dry land tomorrow, and a meeting with my agent about a possible sponsorship wedged into an open slot. I have no time to sit here and map the curve of her collarbones, yet I can't tear my eyes away.

Jen leans forward, like she feels the magnetic pull too, eyes alight, lips popping open, and I jump halfway out of my seat when Kimmy springs to her feet, rocking the table we're all gathered around.

For a moment there, I'd forgotten that we weren't alone. Mitch hoots with his hands around his mouth as Kimmy stares down at Saltz. "Oh, yeah, you want to get your ass kicked, rookie?"

Disoriented, I watch as Saltz grins, leaning back relaxed like we don't all know that Kimmy could take him down. "All I'm saying is that skills in the pool don't transfer to the game of pool."

"And I'm saying that when I win, you owe the whole table a round."

Now Jayden joins in, nudging Saltz with his shoulder. "You can't back down from a challenge like that," he says, looking pretty happy with Sophie draped all over him like that.

Saltz narrows his eyes, rising. "Game on," he says, shaking hands with Kimmy, and they disappear to one of the pool tables at the other end of the bar.

"Kid's gonna come back in tears," Mitch says with a fond grin. I nod my head. Kimmy Byers is a force to be reckoned with.

I don't know how Sophie arranged for Saltz and Kimmy to be allowed entrance when neither has turned twenty-one. I resign myself to just accepting that she has her methods.