Chapter sixteen

The bar is bustling when we arrive

The bar is bustling when we arrive. I scan the crowd, standing on my tiptoes to see over the many patrons' heads.

Holly is fortunately taller than me, and she spots the guys at the back of the bar, gripping my arm excitedly.

It's her first time meeting the swimmers, but she already knows who they are - not unlike myself once upon a time.

Zeke wrote in the group chat yesterday, inviting all of us out. It's only been a few days since the meet in Cleveland, and the guys wanted to celebrate their victory. I asked if I could bring a friend along.

Moving through the throngs of people, watching as Archer and Kimmy's faces light up when they spot me, I realize how much my life has changed in just a few months.

When Darren broke my heart, I was left alone. Besides Sophie, I had no one to catch me here in Michigan, and the sudden isolation made me feel like I was drowning.

Now, I'm meeting up with a great group of people who all seem to really like me for who I am and not the person I'm dating, and I'm bringing a new friend along to introduce to them.

My heart is swelling with thankfulness for my new little family.

"Hi, everyone," I say as we finally reach them. Holly is tripping beside me, and I gesture to her. "This is my friend, Holly."

Everyone gets up to say hello to her and shake her hand. When Zeke flashes his award-winning smile, she looks to be on cloud nine.

I smile, giving Sophie a quick hug. She's been staying with Jayden a lot lately, so sometimes we're like ships passing in the night.

David greets Holly politely before moving around her, walking in my direction. Holly shoots me a wink behind his back.

She's the only one I've told about what happened in Cleveland. Or at least the vaguest version of it I could get away with. She squealed so loud we almost got kicked out of the library.

"Hi, Jen," he says, his voice low and intimate, and I will myself not to blush as I meet his eyes. His brown irises are practically liquefied, swirling with so much intensity it takes my breath away.

"David," I say, leaning up on my toes to hug him.

Even this friendly touch overheats my system, making warmth pool within me. His arms close around me momentarily, and not for the first time, I wonder what it would be like feeling those strong muscles above me as we both sought pleasure in each other.

I step back, blinking away the images in my mind. This is not the time or place.

I've never been someone who had vivid daydreams of people she knew. Even with Darren, I'd barely thought about what our first time would be like besides whether or not it would hurt and if I would be good at it.

It did, and I wasn't, according to Darren. But even as the pain disappeared and I got marginally better - my ex's words - there were never fireworks. It was mostly pleasant, but nothing much beyond that.