Chapter eight

I'm just coming in the door from afternoon swim when my phone buzzes with an incoming call

Glancing at the screen, I see that the call is coming from two of my sisters. The group chat is named 'the fist litter' because that's what our mothers affectionately dubbed the three of us when we were kids.

Due to circumstances around the length of time, it took Mum to get pregnant with IVF treatment and how fertile Mom turned out to be, getting knocked up with twins in one try, they ended up having three babies under the age of one.

After placing my shoes neatly at the door and heading into the living room, I accept the call. "Hey," I greet Delilah and Diana, their faces filling my screen.

"Dae," my twin says, delighted, popping a cookie in her mouth.

I smile, trying not to look too tired while Delilah takes over the conversation.

"So, I'm going to Nashville next weekend, and I wanted to hear if either of you have time to join." It's a rare occurrence that the three of us are free to talk simultaneously, so there isn't a lot of time for pleasantries.

Diana is already shaking her head as I answer. "I can't get out of practice with such short notice."

"Please, Dae, you couldn't get out of practice if you knew a year in advance," my older sister says, giving me side eyes through the phone.

She's right, though. It's not that Coach Mathews wouldn't allow me to skip one weekend, but it's not in my best interest, so I rarely ever ask.

"I have a game," Diana says, polishing off another cookie. "Do neither of you watch me play, like, ever?"

"No, Di," I deadpan. "It's not like we're at three games a year each and watch the rest on TV dutifully. We've also never had a viewing party."

"Oh, yeah, right, you go to Seattle to watch me play on Lea's crappy TV, huh?"

"That's why face-time was invented, you idiot."

"That's why face-time was invented," Diana imitates mockingly.

I roll my eyes. "But you could have chosen a sport with fewer performances. I only make you show up for one meet a year, at most."

"Or, you could not have become professional athletes, so you had time to help our mothers paint their new house," Delilah says, cutting off our bickering.

"That's why you're going? Can't they hire someone?" I ask, surprised they're bothering to haul our sister all the way across the country for that. Even though she isn't a pro athlete, her schedule is still pretty insane as a medical student.

"I volunteered." Of course, she did.

"Is there anything else, 'cause I have to go to the gym, like," Diana checks her watch. "Five minutes ago."