Chapter thirty

"This is new," Jen says cautiously as I guide her into the bar

I decided to take her out for date night in the hope that it would get her out of her head. It's been two weeks since her fight with her dad, and there's been no contact. She seems better, less distraught, but I know she's still upset. I see it every time she glances at her phone longingly, her brows pulling down in a scowl like she's chastising herself for caring.

"Yeah, well, you like trying new things, remember?" I kiss her temple as I search the dimly lit space for a place for us to sit.

Since our date at the lake, where I convinced her to shed most of her clothes and jump in, Jen's been finding joy in being spontaneous and pushing her boundaries. She always gets this excited look on her face whenever she tries something new, and it makes me want to invent new experiences to provoke that glee in her.

I lead Jen to a table, and she glances over her shoulder, brows scrunched. "I know, but you don't really like bars..."

"We're not here to drink," I assure her, glancing at the stage behind her. "Though we might need a shot for courage."

"What-"

Before Jen can voice her confusion, a guy walks up to the microphone, tapping it lightly to get people's attention. "Alright, everyone. Welcome to karaoke night."

Jen turns back to me, baby blue eyes wide behind her glasses. "No."

"Darling-"

"No way," she breathes, looking adorably flustered. "I can't sing."

"Love, I've heard you sing. Voice of an angel," I say sincerely. Every time she sits down at her grand piano and lets the notes fly from her, my heart belongs a little more to her.

Chances are, she'll make a few people in this bar fall in love with her before the night is over.

"But there are people here," she argues like I'm oblivious to the crowd around us. I honestly hadn't expected karaoke night to be this popular, but the citizens of Ann Arbor clearly like to embarrass themselves occasionally.

"And many of them will sing, too. Badly, most likely. Jen, love, you're the best singer in this place." I grip her hand. "Didn't you use to sing in a choir? I thought you'd be used to singing in front of people."

Her cheeks are a light pink from my praise. "Yes, but you're less likely to be heckled in a church. Besides, I never did solos."

I remember her saying how much she missed singing the night we met almost a year ago, and I want to show her that there are other ways to do the things you love.

"New things, remember?"

That makes her nose scrunch like she's trying to suppress a smile. "Only if you sing with me."