Chapter thirty-three

"Wow, Ally, that was a good one!" I praise, holding a hand in front of my face to shadow the sun that's just reached past the trees

My sister turns, cocking her hip and giving me an exasperated look. "You said that about the last five swings, too. Do you have any idea what you're looking at?"

I shake my head, slurping on my iced coffee. Having spent so many fall seasons in Michigan, I'd forgotten how hot it can be in Oklahoma - even this early in the day.

Alice huffs, rolling her eyes, but a grin tugs at her lips. "Love the enthusiasm, sis, but you're breaking my concentration. Let me focus."

"Okay, okay," I concede, giving her an apologetic smile. It's rare I get to see her golf, so I was excited to accompany her to the driving range this morning.

She's just like David. Up at ungodly hours, even on the weekend, to get time in training. Even though school is in full swing, she's at the driving range every morning and the golf course every afternoon.

I know this is the life of an athlete, but part of me can't help but wonder if this jam-packed schedule is giving her an excuse not to deal with her grief.

Not that I'm much better. I follow my sister and mother around like a little puppy, eager to help however I can so I don't have to be alone for too long.

There's been a lot of stuff to take care of with Dad's office. There were many people working for him and a lot of paperwork to sort out. I've helped Mom the best I could, especially since the whole political system has been in chaos with the midterms last week.

I've deliberately not looked up who got Dad's seat in the Senate. It feels cold. The man hasn't even been dead for a month, and someone else has already taken over. Like he's that easily forgotten.

I use my yoga breathing exercises to keep the pain at bay, focusing back on Alice. She's really talented, although, as she said, I have no idea what I'm talking about. But she's so sure when she swings that club, I can't help but imagine the future waiting for her.

Alice will be okay. She'll be happy.

My eyes stop stinging.

With one last swing, she turns, walking towards me. "We should head home. Thanks for coming with me." She squirts water from her water bottle into her mouth. "I know how much you hate getting up early."

I don't have the heart to mention that these days, I'm up hours before the sun if I even manage to fall asleep properly in the first place.

I force a smile. "Anything for you, sis."

She gathered her equipment. "We're running a bit late for church." Side-eyeing me, she gnaws on one of her nails. Apparently, that's a genetic nervous tell. "Are you coming with us?"

My stomach churns, and I do my best to keep any of the accompanying emotions off my face, instead grabbing her bag from her. "Not this time," I say as cheerily as possible.