Chapter nineteen

I've been sitting on a chair in the hallway for about an hour, staring at the door Jen vacated when someone knocks

Well, more like pounds.

A silly, stupid part of me hopes it might be Jen. Even though I was the one to throw her out, my mind has been reeling from watching her leave, and I just want to hold her close.

And then yell at her some more.

I hurry to the door, checking the peep hole and my heart falls to my stomach when I realize it's not Jen. It's her best friend.

I open the door with a resigned sigh, knowing what's about to happen. After all, I've had a front-row seat to what happens to guys who hurt Jen.

"Sophie," I say, trying to be civil as I step aside to let her in.

She's been here before, and still, she turns, inspecting the room with her nose scrunched as if something isn't to her liking.

If it's revenge she wants, we should just get it over with so I can go back to sulking.

"The car's in the garage. Want me to open up the door?"

I don't give a shit about my car right now. She could drive it into a lake for all I care.

Sophie narrows her eyes, looking every bit the avenging woman. She sniffs distastefully, as if I'm dirt under her boot.

Turning, she touches the frame of a painting, and I cringe. Her calm spirit is making me antsy.

She sighs dramatically. "Not as much fun when you've given me permission. Besides, your car probably cost a fortune, and I'm not really fixing to go back to jail."

For the past hour, my entire focus has been on what Jen told me, but old habits die hard, and the lawyer part of my brain kicks in, narrowing down on one word Sophie said.

"What?"

Sophie stiffens ever so slightly. "What?"

She turns, and I search her face for any sign that I heard what I think I did. She gives me nothing, her expression expertly bored. "Back to jail? As in have already been there?"

Sophie isn't much for divulging those secrets, and she tries to evade my attempts until she finally coughs up the truth. Listening to her describe the not one but two times she's been arrested, I once again wonder why, in the world, Jen keeps giving her the time of day.

"Was Jen in any way involved?" I ask.

As if Sophie remembers why she's here, her expression hardens, murder shining in her eyes. She walks to the chair I'd been sitting on less than five minutes ago. "As in, she bailed me out? Yes."

"How on earth are you two friends?"

"Opposites attract, Davis." She sits down, crossing her legs, giving me her full attention again. The way she watches me, a cordial smile curling her lips, causes the hair on the back of my neck to rise. "Which brings us back to the topic at hand. Your total destruction of my best friend's heart."