Chapter nine

"Let's go!" Mitch hollers from the front seat of his truck as it idles on the curb outside my building

I slide into the passenger side, fasten my seatbelt, and look behind me. Saltz is already in the backseat typing away at his phone. He nods his head without looking at me. "Sup dude?"

"Hey," I greet both of them, grasping the dashboard as Mitch veers into traffic like our bodies aren't breakable. "Where are we going? I thought we would meet up at my place later?"

Since it turned out that no one in our little medley team had plans for Thanksgiving, we decided to throw a Friendsgiving. Which wasn't supposed to start for several hours.

"Dunno," Mitch says, handing me his phone. "Jayden just sent some address and asked us to meet him there. Put it into the GPS, will ya?"

I lean forward, programming the GPS until it's set to somewhere in the suburbs.

"Twenty bucks this was Sophie's idea," I mutter.

Jayden somehow convinced her to join our little celebration since Jen is out of town.

There's a loaded silence as Mitch glances over at me. "Dude."

"What?"

He rubs a hand over his beard, pursing his lips. "You're kinda a jerk about Sophie."

"He's right," Saltz chimes in from the backseat, still engrossed in his phone.

"She's wild, sure, be Sennels is into her, and I think she likes him too." Mitch shrugs. "Maybe give her a shot."

My pulse thuds in my ears, and I feel embarrassed being chastised this way. I didn't think my distrust of Jayden's hook-up had been this obvious, but apparently, nothing escapes my teammates, which means there's a chance Jayden realizes it, too. I just don't want him to get hurt.

I let out a deep breath, squinting my eyes. "Okay, that's fair."

I don't ever want my best friend to think I don't support his choices, so even if I'm still wary of the girl he's dating, I'll try to be nicer.

"Cool, 'cause we're here," he says, turning left up an inclined driveway.

We come to a stop outside a two-story villa with a garage on the far side. As we exit the car, looking at the property, I hear a car door slam behind us, and Jayden walks in front of his car.

Saltz whispers something to him, and I watch as Jayden shakes his head with a shrug. I glance over at Mitch, leaning against his car, looking utterly relaxed.

There's a sound behind Jayden's car, and Sophie emerges with a toolbox and a black tote.

"Thank you for showing up, guys," she says, looking at each of us in turn. I frown deeper, unease settling in my stomach. "I know you're probably wondering what we're doing here."