Chapter twenty-three

Jen is smiling at me from the passenger side of my car as I drive us out of the city

Jen is smiling at me from the passenger side of my car as I drive us out of the city. I have to set a time limit of a few seconds for me to look at her before returning my eyes to the road. Otherwise, we might not reach our destination.

Ever since Nationals a few days ago, I've been planning this date with Jen. It's our first real date - the first time we're honest about what this is and who we are. Every time we went out last year, there was some thin veil of secrets or excuses between us.

Now, we're just Jen and David.

We've also been gifted with a rare week of good weather for this early in the summer. We've only just entered June, and the sun is beating down from a blue sky. I'm taking full advantage.

"Where are we going?" Jen asks, looking at the road around us, her eyes widening slightly as I turn us down a gravel path, giant trees flanking each side of the road.

"Just a secret little spot," I say, winking at her.

Jen likes surprises, and god, I just love to see that excited look on her face when she realizes what's going on. Like right now. The trees part, showcasing the shoreline and the little undisturbed piece of land in front of it. The grass almost reaches the water's edge. It's one of Michigan's many lakes, and for most of the year, sunbathing isn't an option, so few people bother to come to this specific spot. It makes it feel like my own little slice of paradise.

Moving from city to city, state to state as a kid, it was hard to find familiarity when everything from the dialect to the weather patterns to the population density changed. But wherever we lived, I would find water. Whether it was the ocean, a spring in the mountains, or a lake like this. Maybe it's why I was drawn to swimming - water has always been where I found peace.

"This is gorgeous," Jen says, wiggling in her seat.

I exit the car, rounding the hood and opening the door for her. Taking my hand, she climbs out, turning her head this way and that to look at everything. Before moving out of the way, I grab her chin in my hand, lowering my face to press a short kiss to her lips.

I'm insatiable when it comes to kissing her. She tastes fantastic, and I can't believe I kept this from myself for so long.

Jen sighs into my mouth, going soft and pliant in my arms. I can imagine that coming in handy one day, her submitting so easily to my will when I thrust my tongue into her mouth.

Pulling back, I point her towards the water before grabbing the stuff out of the back of the car.

Jen is dancing around the little beach, her eyes wide with excitement, and when the skirt she's wearing flares out around her body, those baby blue eyes finding mine, she looks just like a Disney princess. The sun bathes her in a warm light, and my chest aches.

I set the picnic basket down and spread the blanket on the ground. "Hey, Snow White, join me?" I call out to her.

She laughs, the sound traveling over the water, and I swear, birds reply in harmony.