xxviii

chapter twenty eight: you asshole

The night went on with no issues despite Jason staring at the guy with a murderous look on his face. Valencia kept telling him that she was fine, but that fell on deaf ears.

He knew she was just saying that to prevent him from doing something crazy. The last thing she wanted was for Jason to get hurt because of her. Not that he would care.

She kept pretending to laugh at his jokes to see if he would stop at some point, but it was no use. She could tell that Jason and her friends were starting to get livid. 

Even when her smile turned into obvious discomfort, he didn't seem to get the hint. He continued to make her the butt of all the "jokes."

The breaking point came when they were minding their business, once again. Just when they thought he was done for the night, Jason overheard something uncalled for.

"You're crazy man," Drew spoke up, talking to another guy at the place. "That girl over there is a 10. She makes Valencia look like a 4." He laughs obnoxiously again.

"Alright, what the fuck is your problem?" Jason asked, suddenly approaching him. His patience was running thin with this asshole, and he wasn't going to let him talk about his girl that way.

"Jason, please, just calm down..." Valencia said quietly, trying to hold onto his arm so he wouldn't get into anything physical. 

"No, I'm not going to calm down because now he's just insulting your looks and you haven't done anything to him." Jason spat, staring daggers at him. 

"Aw, can someone not take a joke?" Drew laughed, the smirk growing wider on his face. "Maybe you should listen to your girl." He replied.

"Maybe you should stop being an asshole and leave her alone." Jason yelled in Valencia's defense, refusing to let him walk all over her. "She's getting upset."

Drew rolled his eyes. "I don't see her upset. I just see her looking like a deer in headlights." He joked again, only fueling Jason's anger anymore.

He stepped closer to Drew, ignoring Valencia's pleas to calm down. "Say one more thing about her and I swear to god," Jason threatened. It was rare to ever see him this angry.

Drew smirks and looks at Jason, in over his head. "Oh yeah? What are you gonna do, hit me?" He laughed. "Your scrawny ass isn't gonna do shit."

Jason took that as a challenge and pulled his fist back without thinking anything of it. Before anyone could react, his fist connected with Drew's jaw, knocking him down onto the floor.

Drew held his jaw, stunned by Jason taking a swing at him. Valencia stepped back, knowing the two of them were about to get into an intense fight.

Drew took another swing at Jason but missed, drunkenly stumbling to the floor. He was too drunk to even fight him properly, and yet he wanted to make fun of Valencia.

Even when he was down, Jason didn't think he learned his lesson enough. Jason was running on pure anger, and Drew was running on alcohol. This wasn't even going to be a real fight. 

He made Drew stand back up on his feet, continuing to throw punches at him. Nobody in the friend group was helping Drew out, almost like they were waiting a long time for this. 

Eventually, security had taken notice of the altercation and was quick to separate them and kick them out.

As Valencia ran outside to meet with Jason, security forced Drew to go somewhere else to prevent another fight from breaking out with Jason. He scoffed and drunkenly walked away.

Valencia caught up with them outside, running over to make sure Jason was okay. Her friends had been laughing and yelling at Drew to go away, claiming he deserved it.

"I'm sorry I got into that fight, Val," Jason said as he watched her run up to him. "I didn't like the way he was talking to you, it wasn't right." He spoke, out of breath from the adrenaline.

He didn't know it, but she was secretly happy that he had stood up for her. Besides, Drew needed to get punched in the face at some point, and Jason just happened to be the one to do it.

"Jase, it's okay, he deserved it," Valencia spoke softly, wrapping her arms around his neck. "Besides, was it really a fight if he was drunk and falling half the time?" She laughed.

"Val now is not the time for jokes," Jason spoke gently despite the adrenaline still running through his system. If he had it his way, he'd throw a couple more punches at that asshole.

"Come on," She rubbed his arm soothingly, trying to get him to lighten up a bit. "What would I do without my bad boy?" She teased, kissing his cheek gently.

She knew that would be enough to ease the tension and make him smile again. She gently ran her hands through his hair, calming him down.

"Let's just go home and spend the rest of the night in. Just us two." Valencia offered, holding both of his hands and waiting for his response with a sweet smile.

He sighed and looked at her, a bit tired. "Okay, my love. Let's go home." Jason replied, squeezing her hand as they began to make their way back to her apartment.