xxvi

chapter twenty six: home

After what seemed like an eternity, Valencia made it out of the hospital, free of physical therapy and hospital food. She couldn't be happier to finally be out of that place.

The sadness that was once present on her face was now gone, returning to her usual radiant smile that always captured Jason's heart. She was happy again, and that was all that mattered to him. 

Jason offered to take her back home, making sure she got there safe and sound. While the injury to her leg still needed some healing, the worst part of it was over. All she needed to do was get some rest.

He helped her into her apartment, sitting her down on the couch. He was focused on getting her comfortable and getting something into her system, taking his role as caregiver seriously.

"Jason, you don't have to do all of this," She giggled, watching as he paced around the house looking for pillows and blankets. She reached out for his hand to try and make him sit down.

He shook his head. "Are you hungry, my love? I'll make you something to eat." He said as he put a pillow under her leg before wrapping the blanket around her shoulders. 

Valencia was going to protest, but let him do it anyway. She knew he probably wasn't going to let her do anything but get the rest that she needed. She appreciated him for doing this much.

Jason was in and out of her home, always stopping by to check in on her almost every single day. Whether he came back from a rehearsal or had the day to himself, he always made time out of his day to check up on her.

He made sure she was taken care of, providing any little thing she wanted or needed. It was his mission to make sure she was not only physically well, but mentally well too.

If she ever tried to get up and do something herself, he always did it for her. He didn't want her to overwork herself, even if it was something as minor as reaching for the TV remote. 

As a part of her recovery, they often took walks in the park. Valencia already liked to take walks in the park and look at nature, so now that Jason was by her side, she enjoyed them even more.

When they went on their walks together, he could see how much she enjoyed it. He wasn't the type to admire nature as much as she was, but if it made her happy, he was happy. 

He would listen as she pointed out what flowers were most beautiful to her. Jason thought she was just as pretty as the flowers they were looking at, her pink hair matching the pink lilies in front of her.

It was probably the one thing she missed the most since she was in the hospital. She missed the warmth of the sun on her skin and the sight of the new flowers blooming at the start of the season.

The walks helped her to get used to walking with her injured leg again. And since she liked to go on walks often, it didn't feel like she was putting too much work into her recovery.

Gentle guided steps slowly turned into walking regularly again. Jason was happy and proud to see how far she had come. She was finally able to get over that obstacle in her life.

Things went back to normal with time. And throughout it all, Jason had never wavered once. He never thought twice about giving up on her, wanting to be with her every step of the way.

He was happy now knowing she was simply okay. She was okay from the accident, she was safe at home, and everything seemed to be okay again. That was all that mattered to him. 

Valencia didn't know how she got so lucky to have someone like him by her side. She made sure Jason knew she appreciated him, she always had her arms wrapped around his neck or kissing him sweetly.

Jason was always flustered from the attention, suddenly becoming shy or blushing whenever she gave him affection. He could tell she liked it from the mischievous grin that was always on her face.

One night, she poured her heart out to him about how grateful she was for him. It was a soft whisper of her love for him, without outright saying that she loved him.

"You are the best thing to ever happen to me, Jason. You didn't have to be there with me all those days in the hospital, and you sure as hell don't have to be here taking care of little old me," She laughed, her voice full of love. "But you've stood by my side, and I feel like I don't appreciate you enough for it."

A bashful smile grew on his face as he listened to what she said. "Thanks, Val," He responded, taking her hand and holding it like he did all those days in the hospital. "I'll always be here for you." 

Valencia looked at Jason, her eyes sparkling with love and admiration for him. Not much needed to be said, a silent declaration was enough for them.

As night fell, Jason pressed his lips against Valencia's softly, lingering for a moment before pulling away. Everything seemed right again. 

Valencia rested her head upon Jason's shoulder, their hands intertwined in the comfort of their love.