xxxiv

chapter thirty four: the luckiest guy alive

Jason and Valencia were cuddled up on her couch the day before the band was set to go on tour. It had been a quiet night in, one filled with serene silence and occasional kisses here and there.

All they wanted was a peaceful night in, relaxing before Jason was going to go away for the next couple of months. Valencia was right by his side, savoring the last couple of moments with him.

There was laughter, whispered promises, and admiration shared for each other. It was a night that neither person wanted to end, but knew that it had to at some point. 

As they watched the stars together, Jason reflected on how Valencia ultimately changed his life. She was the girl he always wanted, but never thought he would have. She was an angel, heaven-sent. 

Their relationship had a long way to go before they could say they had been through it all, but so much had happened since they first met, it felt like they were together in a past lifetime. 

"You know, Val," Jason started, looking over at her as he wrapped his arm around her shoulders. "I'm grateful to have someone like you." 

She was a unique girl, one who made him look at things differently more than he ever thought possible. The way she danced and smiled throughout life, her laughter a part of every cherished memory.

"You mean more to me than words can say, and I mean that. I will forever love you, your smile, your crazy hair, everything." Jason told her, rubbing his thumb against her cheek. 

Valencia's cheeks turned pink under the pad of his thumb, her sweet smile growing with every word that he told her. He was always so kind and knew how to make her feel like the most special girl in the world.

"If I would have known you would be the girl I wanted to stay with forever, I would've never thought you would choose me. I'm out of your league." He said with a slight chuckle.

"Not out of my league," She knew he was only joking, but wasn't going to let him get away with that comment. "You're sweet, kind, and genuine. That's all that matters to me." 

If only he knew what the guys before her were like. Any guy she met before him was only with her for her looks, but Jason made her feel seen for who she was. If anything, she felt lucky to have him.

She intertwined her hand with the one that was hanging off her shoulder, looking at him with a smile. "I am so proud of you for how far you've come with the band, and how far we've come together."

Jason rested his forehead against hers, showing his love and appreciation for her words. She was too good to him, too good for her unconditional love and support. He was never going to let her go.

"I promise you'll always be in my mind while I'm gone, Val." He kissed her hand's knuckles sweetly, making sure that she knew his promise was genuine. She was his guiding light, his love. 

The backdrop of their night would transfer into the bedroom, where Jason and Valencia had spent a tender and passionate moment to themselves before morning would arise.

The next morning, Jason rose from the bed, still feeling exhausted from the night before. Valencia was snoring away in the bed, which made Jason laugh a bit to himself. 

He leaned over her to check the time, looking to see how much time he had before he had to leave. What he didn't expect to see was the time being way past the time he was supposed to be up.

"Oh shit," Jason muttered to himself, jumping out of bed and running to brush his teeth and get all of his things together before he missed his ride to the airport.

Valencia would eventually stir awake to the sound of Jason's footsteps running all over the apartment. She simply went to the kitchen to make him some coffee before he would leave.

As Jason rushed to get out of the apartment before he was late to the airport, Valencia sat by the door, staying out of his way as he ran back and forth, double-checking that he had all his things.

"Okay, I think I have everything..." Jason whispered to himself cautiously, running through all of the important things he needed for the tour ahead of him. 

Valencia cleared her throat loudly, causing Jason to look up at her. "Forgetting something?" She teased, standing cheekily by the door. 

He downed the last of his coffee before going over and pressing a long kiss to her lips, something he had begun to turn into a habit any time he was going somewhere without Valencia. 

"Have fun on tour," She told him, giving him one more kiss. "Make sure to be careful and stay in touch." She told him, squeezing his hand.

He nods. "Remember what I promised to you yesterday Val," He told her, leaning in closer to her while looking into her eyes. "I love you." He whispered.

She felt her heart melt at his words. No matter how often he would tell her, she would always feel her heart flutter. "I love you too, Jason." She replied. "Now go before you miss your flight."

Jason gave her one last kiss before running down the steps to catch a cab. Valencia watched the street below from her apartment window, making sure he didn't get left behind. 

He looked up and gave her one last glance, winking before getting into the cab.