Chapter 13 - Goodbye

Days had gone by. It was all a daze, really, and even though (Y/N) tried to convince herself that she truly did not care that her best friend had tried to pursue her meanwhile he was dating another woman, a woman he had never mentioned, it was impossible. She had ignored his very few calls, and tried to distance herself. This was perfect, wasn't it? Now she wouldn't miss him as much while he was away. But she'd miss the others. No doubt.

A brisk breeze complemented the heat of the sunlight and (Y/N) felt neither warm or cold. She took another drag from her cigarette.

Kirk swallowed as he parked the car at the gas station and padded toward her. She was sitting outside of the 7-Eleven on the pavement smoking, her hair billowing in the wind. He had to say goodbye before the plane took off to the UK to kick off the world tour. He supposed she was scared and tried to distance herself to miss the band less.

"Hi." He said as he approached her.

She didn't move from her spot, only looked up at him, expression a mixture of confused and disappointed. "Hi." She said back.

"How are you?"

"Good." She looked down at her fingertips, picking at them.

Kirk gulped again, fists in the pockets of his black leather jacket. "You haven't been answering my calls."

"So coming to my work's the solution?"

"Well, yeah. You know. It was just... you know I'm leaving today and I assumed you'd be here. I- I don't know. Maybe you'd be here. I don't know. We need to talk."

"About what?" (Y/N)'s face was still turned away, eyes downcast, and her set of dashing white teeth gleaming as she bit on a nail.

"Well, us, you know."

"Us?" She echoed the words that made her turn her face to look at him.

"See, come on, something's wrong. I know you." Kirk reminded her. "I... I'm guessing it's about tour and stuff, and you don't have to like, try and push me away and stuff. Is that what's going on?" His brown curls framed his worried doe eyes perfectly and once again it stung in (Y/N)'s stomach.

(Y/N) shrugged, clamping her jaw as she looked away again. "You guys going on tour isn't the end of my life, Jeez."

"I-I know, I just-"

"I am not trying to push you away, I'm just busy with work."

"Oh, bullshit." He scoffed. "Did something happen? You know you can tell me. Just tell me if you don't wanna talk about it but don't act like nothing's wrong."

"Okay, I don't want to talk about it." (Y/N) stood up and tossed her cigarette, stomping a foot on it.

"You sure?" Kirk asked.

"Yes." She assured him and they both stood there in silence for a moment.

Kirk couldn't for the love of God figure out what had happened and it worried him. "Well, I feel like you... could explain something, you know. Like, is it family-related? Friend? I don't think it's fair that you're shutting me out. Could you give me some sort of answer?"

"You want answers?"

"Yeah, I think I'm entitled." He said with his eyebrows creased. "Did something happen with Lars or something? Did he do something?"

"No, oh my God. I said I didn't want to talk about it, Kirk. Have fun on tour." (Y/N) said as she headed for the door to the store again. She didn't want to confront him. Not right now, she was working, and her nose stung and she couldn't let the tears clouding up in her eyes escape cause then they'd be all swollen and red and everyone at work could tell she'd been crying and Dean wouldn't stop asking about it. 
Did Kirk really not get that she knew?
Gosh, she was fucking stupid, so silly, getting all worked up over nothing. Jesus Christ, sort yourself out, for fuck's sake. But she felt betrayed, when she for once started to trust a man, he just went ahead and proved that every single one of them were the same. And even though she didn't want to see his face right now, she was still hoping to hear that doorbell jingle and have him rushing after to explain that it's not what she thought and Lars had lied and everything was going to be okay. But Kirk didn't come after.