p. ace 》𝙇𝙐𝘾𝙆𝙔 ! ☆

prompt ; "im glad you stuck with me for all this time."
character ; ace
warnings ; i mean kinda angsty but not much, ace is totally head over heels in love. as he should just look at you???
--

Since Ace was little, a burning question was in his mind. Did he deserve to be born? When Ace had asked his grandfather, the only response he got was 'you'll figure it out as you live.'

He's lived now.

He's been on many, many adventures and saw many, many things. So why is it that the answer hasn't occurred to Ace yet? That is, until he met you.

Sure, he didn't exactly know the answer, but he just had a feeling. A feeling that he lived for this long to be by your side through thick and thin, to be a shoulder for you to cry on and to warm you up on cold nights.

To others, it might look like a stupid reason to want to live. But for him, any reason to live or any reason to believe he deserved to be born was good enough.

Ace watched as you slept soundly in his arms. He watched how you unconsciously moved closer to him even in your sleep.

Why him?

Ace is someone who carries the blood of a demon in his veins. Ace is someone who is responsible for the death of his own mother. Ace is not good enough. Especially not for you.

He believed you deserved so much more. He can't provide you with a mansion, he can't provide you with endless riches or even a safe home to stay in -- the marines were after his head constantly.

But there was one thing he was sure he can provide you much of. Love. Ace was scared to love, to be vulnerable. For you, though, he would try anything. Name it, and it's done by a second.

Ace placed a hand on your cheek, his touch so light it barely felt like it was even there. Ace intently watched your soft breaths, how your chest was rising up and down. You were here. With him. And you trusted him enough to fall asleep right by his side. You didn't believe he was a devil like his father.

"I love you," Ace muttered. A promise that he'll never let you go, and a declaration that he trusted you back.

Ace knew you were asleep and couldn't hear him. Maybe that's where his sudden courage came from. He tucked a piece of your hair behind your ear, continuing to stare at your features. Ace's stare was full of love, affection, and longing.

He took in every piece of you. There was nothing about you he didn't like -- no, love. Your eyes, hair, nose, lips, all of it. The parts you hated, he loved even more. His love flows out of him like a river, and you're the ocean.

Ace's favorite part of you, though? It was easily your smile. Your happiness was contagious to him, and every laugh of yours felt like it was washing away a sin of his. The waves of the ocean, cleansing him. It wasn't something he deserved.

But the longer he keeps being cleansed, the further and further he sinks into the ocean. It's not like he ever tried swimming out anyway. Why would he reject it when you were so willingly giving it to him of all people?

Maybe not willingly. You don't know what you're doing to him. A simple laugh or smile, why would anyone react in such a way?

And as he sinks further and further into the ocean, there's no regret. No hesitance. He shuts his eyes and relaxes.

As the river, Ace will always find his way to you. And the love will never stop pouring out of him, not until every resource in his body gets completely sucked dry. Even then, his last words would be about the love he had for you.

Ace pulls the blanket lower and snuggles closer to you. He wants to be the one to warm you up, the same way you do to him. Call it...returning a favor, if you will.

Before shutting his eyes and drifting off to sleep after a long day, he whispers another set of words into your sleeping ears.

"I'm glad you stuck with me for all this time."