Chapter 10: A walk

You turned around to see Jack (Eyeless Jack) standing in front of you. You would just leave but he was blocking the door so you had no choice but to engage in conversation. You meekly waved at him and gave a small smile.

        "Hey.." 

        "What're you doing out here?"

        "I was getting fresh air, what are you doing?"

        "Saw you outside." He shrugged, glancing behind you ever so often. You, of course, took notice and glanced behind you. Nothing but trees and darkness beyond.

        "What is it?" You said with unease in your voice.

        "Nothing." He shook his head before walking to the door.

        "'m heading inside, wanna come?" He said, sounding more anxious by the moment.

        "O-Okay." You couldn't keep yourself from stuttering, just what was he looking at? 

The two of you hopped inside and he locked the sliding glass door. You sat on a nearby white couch and grabbed a book from the bookshelf. The book was titled "How to get away with murder" and you started reading. The book was just getting interesting when you felt the couch shift and you turned to look at what it was. 

On the other side of the couch was Jack, who seemingly sat down on the other couch absentmindedly, inside his own head. As time went on, he looked to be getting more and more anxious by the second. You almost felt a bit concerned but you didn't care too much since he was the one who brought you here.

        "Jesus, what's wrong with you today?" A voice asked from across the room.

        "I'm fine, Ben." He shrugged, looking away.

        "Well clearly you're not." Ben rolled his eyes, looking back at the game he was playing. They kept talking but by that point you'd stopped listening, immersed in the fictional world of the book you were reading. 

       'Step 154: Hide the body. Amara stood in a deep, dark alleyway, clutching her garbage bag in hand. With one hand, she opened the bin and threw the body in there. She closed it and looked down at the bloody mess she was. Blood covered her gloved hands and her waist down, she sighed at the mess, oh how she dreaded the clean-up. And thus-'

        "Hey!" A voice called out loudly, the sound ringing in your ears causing you to jolt out of nowhere. You looked to see Ben standing in front of you, arms crossed.

        "Huh?" You said, taken by surprise.

        "It's been weird in this mansion the whole week and I'm like, itching to get out of here! Do you wanna go on a walk? Please?" He pleaded with you.

        "Huh..? Why not go yourself?" 

        "This is embarrassing but...I'm too scared! Like I said, I don't know why but the mansion has been giving me the creeps ever since this week started. I can't be alone in a room or else I'm gonna get...jumped! So please come with me!" He looked away before covering his face, he felt so awkward asking you he just wanted to go back into his gaming console.

        "I see...? Sure then, we can go if you feel scared." You mustered up a small smile, trying to be sympathetic, he was surely much much older than you, considering you read the creepy pasta wiki...you were still so confused how creepy pasta characters could manifest into reality.

        "Y-You would do that for me?" He looked up at you, "I mean, let's go." He said, shaking his head before running to the door. He held it open for you, and you walked outside.

        "These woods...something felt different when I ran through them before..." You sighed, "It's my first time being in a pocket dimension, how can this possibly exist, after all...creepy pastas aren't real." You sighed.

        "Oh, but they are. The big boss himself is even unsure of how beings such as us, fictional characters, have manifested into reality. With memories and everything, I'm happy we have a small place where beings like us can live. I consider it a miracle, really, and I'm just this much glad to be alive." He pinched his pointed and thumb so they were almost touching and showed you. He seemed almost a bit out of character, but in a good way, and you smiled, genuinely.

        "I suppose you're right, hm? Life is a special thing, and I suppose I'm happy I exist, even if I take it for granted most of the time..." You looked into the abnormally colored sky longingly, staring at the shooting stars flying past.

       "Bwahahahaha!! You thought I was being serious?!" He wiped a nonexistent tear from his eye and continued talking, you wondered if maybe, even just a little, he was being completely genuine with you there.

        "Ahem...we should probably get back now.." He said, grabbing ahold of your wrist and running, you fought to keep up with his fast pace.

         "Okay, you're right!" 

The two of you made it back to the mansion and he thanked you for the walk, it really did help calm his anxiety down and he was sure he could get a good night's sleep tonight.